What's new

Forum question - What's the difference between (1 Viewer)

Rod Melotte

Stunt Coordinator
Software and movies. I look at the threads and am confused. Most are talking about movies.

RicP

Screenwriter
Rod,
While there will always be some overlap...Software is for discussing DVDs and of course the films on them.
Movies is for discussing (arguing?) the actual film storyline, technical merits, meaning, ending, you name it!
Also, discussion of an older film or a film that may not be on DVD yet is found in movies. Unless you're asking when that movie will be released on DVD, in which case it's good to post in software.
Confused yet? ;)

Jon_W

Stunt Coordinator
The software forum is meant to discuss the actual DVD's (i.e the video presentation, audio, extras), whereas the movie forum is designed to talk about the actual films, their merits and why people like them or dilike them.

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
Hey...now I'm confused!
Seriously, just break it down to: If you want to talk about a DVD-go to Software. If you want to talk about a film, go to Movies.
Bruce

Chad Gregory

Supporting Actor
Well there seems to be much confusion over the thin lines seperating the software forums from many others recently. Personally, I have notice the large number of polls that have seemed to infect the software forum.

But as an answer to your question, Bruce has it as simple as it can be. Basically the software forum is for discussing the software itself. If the talk skews to the movie itself, you can bet the thread will be moved there. If a thread is asking what you watched this weekend and all you do is list off some titles, that thread will soon be in the polls seciton.

I think you tend to see more overlap because the mods aren't hovering at every moment and some members seem to be quite confused about where to put their threads.

-Chad

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Per the forum descriptions:

Software:

Ultimately, we are all here because of our love of cinema--from the timeless classics of yesteryear to the blockbusters and independent productions of today. Post all cinema-related comments here, along with film reviews and discussions about awards shows. Here, too, is where you can talk about your favorite directors, cinematographers, and writers. If it's about film, it can be found in this forum. Once again, if you include links in your posts, please explain their relevance. Thank you.
So as others have said if its about a movie on DVD, Laserdisc, VHS tape (in other words Software) post it in the Software section. If it is about a film at your local theater or it is about a film that isn't on any type of software yet then post it in the movies area.

Parker

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
While the lines between the Software and Movies forums sometimes blur, one thing is quite clear: This thread doesn't belong in either area. I'm moving it to HTF Help and Feedback, which is where questions like this should be raised.
On the distinction between Software and Movies, I refer everyone to the description of the Software forum on the main HTF page; all of these descriptions were recently revised (thank you, Jack Briggs!) in an effort to provide better guidelines on the purpose of each forum:
Also, discussion of software content is fine when considering the pros and cons of the presentation; however, threads that focus primarily on content will be relocated to a more appropriate forum (e.g., "Movies").
As Chad Gregory notes, moderators can't be everywhere at once, and time may pass before one of us notices that a thread should be relocated. Also, some threads are borderline calls, particularly if they concern a title that's recently been released on DVD. (Think about Ron Epstein's detailed reviews; they cover both presentation and content.) And sometimes a thread starts off discussing the technical points of the DVD but then the focus shifts to the content; it's called "thread drift", and it's unavoidable.
Bottom line: If you want to talk about the Movie, go to Movies. If you want to talk about the DVD (or laserdisc, tape, etc.), go to Software.
M.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks