What's new

Forum Problems Today? (10/16/02) (1 Viewer)

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
It is incredibly slow now. I even got an error message with a bunch of error codes on line so & so, with a message that an email had been sent to technical support. However, the email address was blank, so I don't know if Travis actually got it or not.

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
HTF is moving slow for me today as it has been timing out all day so far and pretty much all day yesterday except for about 1 hr. T1 speed hasn't helped at all, it just keeps timing out whenever I click anything. Hope everything gets worked out soon.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Just piping in with the others that response time has been poor the last couple of hours.

Good luck resolving the problem.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
echo todays concern. took about 20 seconds just to load this thread on a T1. heh!
anyway, good luck.
btw - yesterday was hell. i think i was suffering htf withdrawls. :)

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Guys:

Well not only have we gone back to a single CPU on the web server for the time being (until we get the issues with the dual CPU resolved) we had about twice the normal traffic we have on today too. We normally will run a high of about 750 online at a time at the most and today that was over 1,300
and even this afternoon when we drop to about 500 online we were still around 900.

We are working on this. Thanks for your patience with the slow downs of late.

Parker

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
So in other words Parker, the HTF is a victim of its own success.
Too many people wanting to have a peek, slowing everything to a crawl.
Maybe a 'members only' thing would be a great idea, you have to be a member to have access to the forum, I know a UK forum that does just that.
It would put off the passers by, and maybe ease traffic.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
We don't want to put off passersby! HTF is open to everyone who is into home theater. Travis, Parker, and Ron are resolving the problems.
A lot of Websites would love to have our "problem"! :)

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
Reaching HTF has been intermittent even late at night when there's not much traffic. (Of course right now as I post this it's working fine.) Was everything put back as it was before, or is there still something in the mix that doesn't play well with others?

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
For now it is put back to the way it was before. At this time Travis is trying to resolve whether this is a hardware issue or a software issue as we just installed a second CPU to the webserver and we have to diagnosis if the new CPU is the problem or what. Either way we will get it resolved it will just be later than sooner especially if our traffic numbers keep going up.

Parker

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter
Folks,
I know the source of the problem.
Apparently Ron Epstein's review of the Extended Edition of The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring was linked to an article on http://slashdot.org, and all that traffic coming over from Slashdot users literally overwhelmed your site (a thing known to that crowd as slashdotting).
You folks need to put your site on a web service that can handle heavy loads easily.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks