What's new

Forum Problems Today? (10/16/02) (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Was it just me (and some friends), or was everybody having a tough time logging onto the ol' HTF for much of today?
Makes ya appreciate the place that much more when you can't get there whenever you want. Kinda like Disney World! :D

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
I had problems as well. As I recall, I could not get on at around 5:30 p.m. EDT, but I was able to get on between about 6:30 p.m. and 7:30 p.m. EDT. Then the site was down until around 11 p.m. EDT. I'm sure Parker will chime in and let us know what happened. Hopefully all is well now. :)

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
It was like a black hole. Something was very missing. I actually left work early today as a result.

Bill Slack

Supporting Actor
Oh, I could get on all day no problem. But there wasn't a single post for like five straight hours. I guess I had the forum all to myself. :)
I actually tried posting a message in the test forum after noticing there had been NO posts and it worked too, so I was even more befuddled!
But, it was soon all working... soooo....

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Please make all final arrangements with your relatives and other loved ones immediately. Thank you. It has been a pleasure.

TravisB

Agent
Looks like I'm going to get to this before Packy, so here's a quick heads-up...
A second processor was installed in the front-end web server to help it cope with load. The system was installed with a Linux kernel that only supports one processor, so that was replaced with an SMP-aware kernel. Unforunately, the machine was really unstable on two versions of that kernel. I rolled it back to the old single-processor kernel until I can figure out what's going on, and it seems okay so far.
Sorry for the downtime, guys - I can't bear the thought of life without HTF either. ;)

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Well I am glad that Travis stepped in here and let everyone know what going on because I didn't know for sure myself. I knew that he had put in the second CPU and that is was giving him some problems. I am just glad that he is on the case for us.

Parker

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Travis,

Thank You very much. You have done so much for
this forum.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Travis, thanks for the update. I appreciate your efforts to improve the HTF's engine. :)

Woo Jae

Screenwriter
Thanks Travis for the update. Good to know that we have such dedicated folk as yourself to help out the forum...

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
FYI!!!

The forum seems to be running slow now. It was fine early this morning, but has significantly slowed down now.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Still painfully slow. It took over 2mins for this page to load, and yes I have a puny 56k modem.
What irks me is that the forum was moving perfectly fine just 2 days ago, has there been problems in the last week or so with server load? I didn't notice.
Sorry if I sound grouchy, it's just that it takes an hour to glance at a handful of threads now, and its boring me to tears.:frowning:
Hope things get sorted.:emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks