What's new

Forum is making us look like poor spellers! (1 Viewer)

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
OT, but the First thread I started reading yesterday was about an IMAX production, so I started wondering what is this "iFlm" IMAX format that everybody's referring to. I actually googled "iFlm". :) [sub "f" for "F" here]

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
Jonathan Perregaux said:
Why can't there be a bug that replaces "it's" with "its" where appropriate?
Unfortunately, computers aren't that smart... yet. Though apparently our forum is learning on its own. Beware of skynet.

Still working with the IPS people - no solutions so far, but we are still working on it.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
Thanks to member dvdclon for checking out whether the Google Font we were using was the problem. Turns out - it was.

We have swapped to a different font, and it appears the problem is fixed. Please let me know if you still have problems.

You may need to clear cache to get this problem to resolve.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Jonathan Perregaux said:
Why can't there be a bug that replaces "it's" with "its" where appropriate?

How about a bug that replaces "there" with "their" where appropriate? And how about a bug that knows the difference between "to" "two" and "too" . . . . . because some people don't know the difference! :)

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
Dave Upton said:
Thanks to member dvdclon for checking out whether the Google Font we were using was the problem. Turns out - it was.

We have swapped to a different font, and it appears the problem is fixed. Please let me know if you still have problems.

You may need to clear cache to get this problem to resolve.

Ah - so that's why this forum looks different. The font is sharper, cleaner than the old one. - But I suppose it doesn't matter - soon EVERYTHING will look different when the Xenforo switchover occurs.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Sorry to be a jerk, but I really don't like the new font. Or rather I like the font, usually it's my favorite, but I really don't like how it looks here. Way too skinny.

The font looks great, and the way it used to look here in general, when I'm typing this reply in that little window though. When I "magnify" the main forum font, it still looks too skinny and dull, now it just gets larger whereas before it would get larger and bolder.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
In addition to being awfully light and skinny, did it shrink, too? Maybe not, but that's the effect. I, too, have hit the CTRL-+ key combination on my browser window for HTF, being at that magical age where reading distance prescription in glasses and contact lenses is a critical one. Too-light and too-small fonts are a major pain in the ass for anyone of a certain age, and the ever-lightening and shrinking fonts on the internet are continually more annoying for it.

But never mind that. Here's my stupid question:

How in the name of all that is holy can a freaking choice of font flip-flop the letters in a word?

Is there an explanation that can be communicated in layman terms?

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
Well guys, I've tried a different one - hopefully it's a bit better. It's only for a few more days, so I apologize for any readability issues.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
Changed it one last time, i think it will stay like this. Again sorry folks, bugs outside our control!

As for Charles' question, how can fonts mess up letter substitution, here's my best shot at an easy explanation:

Unlike fonts on your PC, web fonts are downloaded from a server every time you visit a website that uses one. Those fonts aren't actual font files, but instructions for your web browser to draw the letters as they should appear. Sometimes, a web font will break certain rules/standards that are followed by some browsers. This is what happened here. The rules for our former font Merriweather Sans were slightly off, causing the letters f and i to be drawin in inverse. So the letters weren't actually being transposed -- it just looks like it because they were rendering incorrectly.

Hope that was simple enough.

Dave

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Sorry to be contrary, but I really don't care for this font at all! In my opinion, Roboto Slab just looks so severe!

Still, if I must, I'll get used to it, I suppose! :P

CHEERS! :)

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
Tony Bensley said:
Sorry to be contrary, but I really don't care for this font at all! In my opinion, Roboto Slab just looks so severe!

Still, if I must, I'll get used to it, I suppose! :P

CHEERS! :)

OK - i had enough PM's hating on Roboto Slab that I changed it. I'll leave it here, lest I confuse you all even more.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks