What's new

Fortune: Apple iTunes close to exclusive Beatles deal! (1 Viewer)

Brian L

Senior HTF Member

Don't be so sure that there will not be any hi-rez. Actually, there ARE hi-rez Beatles tracks on "Love"....24/96 5.1. And they sound fantastic. If they did the entire catalog for release in the same format as "Love" (CD/DVD two-fer w/DVD-A 5.1 tracks), it would single handedly re-kindle interest 5.1 music and DVD-A.

There is zero reason to remaster the catalog for 128K AAC distribution...no point at all. They could sell what they have now.

Having said that, I find this very interesting. Having lost their lawsuit in Apple vs.. Apple, I would have bet real money that Apple/AMI would have done a deal with Bill Gates to get on Zune. That would have a been a great way to flip the bird to Steve Jobs.

I guess money really does talk, and right now, Apple is talking louder than Microsoft.

Brian

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
The problem with Zune is it currently has no market share (iTunes has 86% of the market) and little prospect for upsetting Apple for many years even in the most optimistic scenario. Apple/EMI is likely voting with their pocketbook but the PR for Apple Computer is going to be worth millions.

The Beatles will reap significant profit from all the extra sales of songs as well.

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
I dunno, it'll sell well so that means it's a nice addition for Apple but I don't quite understand the big advantage.

Offering it in mp3/acc doesn't really seem like a big deal since you can just purchase from the multitudes of Beatles CDs and compliations and just convert the songs yourself (which doesn't only apply to the Beatles).
I guess iTunes is cheaper for those who only want a few songs, but otherwise I never understood the advantage for the consumer.

In any case, it's obvious (and has been for a while now) - compressed digital music is the future... like it or not.

Chris Brunner

Second Unit
I wish this would all be finalized pronto. I think I'm getting an iPod for Christmas from my wife. I'd SURE like to ask her to hold out for the "BEATLES Limited Edition iPod" that could easily be out by the time my birthday rolls around!!!

C

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I absolutely think this will warrant something like the custom "U2 Special Edition iPod"... and a package deal when you download the entire catalog. It will most likely include movies. It may even include something exclusive to get die hard fans like me to buy it.

Can't wait!

- Steve

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
It's certainly appropriate that music originally on the Apple label be available once again on Apple.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks