FORT APACHE, THE BRONX is LTXed

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bob Cashill, Nov 7, 2001.

1. Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill Producer

I received the HBO Video disc over the weekend; contrary to what I'd read on a few DVD sites, the disc is letterboxed (1:85 aspect ratio) but not anamorphic. [It also runs the correct 123 minutes, not the 120 most sites list.] It looks OK on my 27" TV.
    The film, a Time-Life production released through Fox, might've received better treatment had it been either a Fox or Warner release. I was surprised that the movie, a vintage (and controversial) slice of NY life from the early 80s, didn't turn up at a recent festival of NYPD movies at New York's Film Forum, but I understand that the lack of a decent print was to blame. HBO seems to have gone with what they had for this bare-bones release and I doubt anything better will be coming.

2. Gil Jawetz

Gil Jawetz Stunt Coordinator

3. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

Bob, you just haven't been visiting the right DVD sites. [​IMG] My review on Digitally Obsessed contains the correct information on the data you cite others as having wrong.
    http://www.digitallyobsessed.com/sho...w.php3?ID=1157
    I agree it's an underrated picture; I do wish HBO had done a better job with it.
    ------------------
    "This movie has warped my fragile little mind."

4. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

I want this movie simply because I heard the movie title more times as a kid than most movies and yet I never saw it. Plus the fact that Pam Grier is in it, along with Paul Newman. What is the LD worth anyways?

5. Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill Producer

It's worth seeing just for Pam Grier, who turns a potentially demeaning role into something truly scarifying in just a few short scenes. And it's one of Newman's best performances from that time.
    My DVD purchase sites listed it as 1:33. I'm glad reviewers have gotten the word out.