Forrest Gump

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by kevin_asai, Jan 10, 2002.

1. kevin_asai

kevin_asai Stunt Coordinator

I just want to let you guys know what is my feeling towards this movie. I would get very happy everytime I watch this movie.
    I've just watched it again a few moments ago and that was the 8th time. I've never get bored of the movie at all. I've never get enough of it [​IMG]
    IMO, 141 minutes of duration time ain't enough for this movie. I wish the movie could run longer duration [​IMG]
    Well, I am very glad to have found this movie.

2. Gavin K

Gavin K Stunt Coordinator

Have you read the book yet?

I was hooked on the movie up through the Viet Nam sequence. Then it just drug on and on for me. The whole running across the country sequence was too long and was too inconsistent with the rest of the movie. And the whole aids thing didn't sit right with me. I was so confused that I went out and bought the book. And laughed my ass off.

The screenwriters committed the cardinal sin of adapting books to screen, they changed the theme of the story. The scene in D.C. in the book makes a subtle political point, in the movie it is an overblown plot point that has no impact. And the ending of the movie is 180 degrees different from the book.

In the book Jenny doesn't die, Forrest realizes that he isn't a fit father and runs off to become a wrestler.

And again, what's with the whole running thing?

Sorry to sound so pessimistic, I love plenty of movies that people love to bash, but I hate it when they screw up book to movie adaptations.

Plenty of good ones have been done, so what gives?

3. Bill Buklis

Bill Buklis Supporting Actor

Bill Buklis
    Actually I thought this movie was *far* better than the book. IMO this is a 2 star book, but a 4 star movie.

Yes, they definitely changed a lot from the book. And for the better. Forrest Gump in the movie is an average guy, not too bright perhaps, but not really stupid. In the book, he's just a dumb idiot and a total loser.

And you have it a little wrong in the spoiler tag.

Forrest doesn't run off because he isn't a fit father. I'm pretty sure there were no kids involved. Jenny just plain dumps him, because he's a total loser stuck on weed.

4. Artur Meinild

Artur Meinild Screenwriter

I like the movie very much. I think it's great, and Tom Hanks really shines! Haven't read the book, but I don't read many books at all...

5. DanR

DanR Supporting Actor

It's a fun movie because you really feel like you are going through life with him.

It's only in the end that I get sad when he's "talking" to Jenny. Great movie.

Regards,

Dan

6. Terrell

Terrell Producer

I get depressed when Jenny leaves him all alone, plus at the end of the film when she dies. That ending with him sitting on the stump while his son gets on the bus, and that feather from the beginning of the film falls at his feet, always brings a tear to my eye.[​IMG] Great film.

7. Tom-G

Tom-G Screenwriter

Tom G
    I've always thought highly of this film. The thing I loved the most is the way that so many events in society were weaved into the story. It seems that recently, people don't hold in the same esteem that it was held in immediately after it's release.

8. Paul_D

Paul_D Cinematographer

9. TheoGB

TheoGB Screenwriter

I really hated it when I saw it. Hard to explain, and I know it's probably not the film's intent, but to me it trivialises everything it shows: the virtual rape of his mother, Vietnam, death, disability. We see everything through the eyes of a man with no understanding of it so everything is given a sense of detachment, of not really mattering.

I dunno, it just made me feel really terrible.

A lot of people I know also don't like the subtext they perceive: That Jenny represents left-wing, intellectuals and her punishment is a terrible death; Forest stands for stupidity and blind following of the state and all it asks for, so he is rewarded.

While I'm not entirely convinced by this, it certainly isn't a movie with a flavour I like. I've always considered it is probably not a good 'traveller' to the UK's shores, frankly.

10. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    Count me in as one who adores this film.
    As the catch phrase on the original artwork states "It's the story of a lifetime." And it is, we follow this gentle, childlike man through some of the most pivitol moments in our history, and contrary to what has been stated, I think Forrest did change in this film.
    Do you think that Jennys death didn't matter to him? It hurt him very much. And what about his momma dying, do you think that he didn't understand that? Sure he did. Or Bubba. Forrest is a man with an EXTRAORDINARILY strong good nature, and it didn't bother me at all that he never got bitter or worn down by life, shit, we should all be so lucky.
    I've heard people say that the charactor they liked the least was Jenny, because she kept coming into his life and then leaving. She had a very hard life, and she is the product of all that, I don't blame her at all. She finally came around at the end anyway. And as for Forrest running accross America, he did it to cope for Jenny leaving I think. So it does serve a purpose in the story.
    I think 'Forrest Gump' is one of Hollywoods finest achievments, it's definatly a film to be treasured. I weep a little every time I see that scene at Jenny's when he first learns he has a child and asks "Is he smart, or is he...". And at Jenny's grave, man, killer stuff in that scene, even for the toughest heart.

11. Bill Buklis

Bill Buklis Supporting Actor

Bill Buklis
    One of the key points of the film and also something that vastly separates it from the book, is that despite his "mental handicap", Forrest is smarter than most of the people out there. He doesn't necessarily get the little things. But, he understands the big picture much more clearly. In the book, of course, he's an idiot from the beginning and through the middle and still an idiot at the end - just something to laugh at.

12. Joseph Young

Joseph Young Screenwriter

13. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    I've always approached "Forrest Gump" as a fantasy film that basically took us through some of the most traumatic times in American History as it unfolded through the passage of time in one man's life. Again, to me the film represents a modern day fantasy!

Crawdaddy