What's new

Forrest Gump DVD problem (1 Viewer)

DanR

Supporting Actor
Simon,
There is certainly no need to apologize. :)
I thought your post was a little vague, but ut's so hard to tell these days with people complaining about P&S becoming more accessible whether your post was being satirical or not.
It sounds like you know what's going on, but now I'm concerned there's a problem with my long awaited Gump DVD release.
frown.gif

Perhaps by early next week more people will be able to report if they are experiencing what you are seeing.
Regards,
Dan

Jeff

Supporting Actor
It figures there would be a problem with this disc, I've been dreaming about it since DVD's came out in 1997. I really hope this is corrected.
Jeff

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
Lets just hope it is only the odd disc
Also, someone mention it might be due to Sony Triniton displays.
I do have a Sony widescreen TV, but my projector is Sharp, and it is more noticeable on this :)
Thanks
Simon

Artur Meinild

Screenwriter
Simon, now that you mention you also see it on your projector, it's probably the disc... Let's hope it's not a general problem (DOH, a master error would be catastrophic)!!
------------------
~ Stud. Polyt. ~ Artur Meinild ~

William Ward

Supporting Actor
Not to hijack the thread, but does anyone else have an edge enhancement problem with this DVD????
When I first turned it on I thought my sharpness setting was messed up. Unless my TV is at fault, this has EE comparable to Die Hard with a Vengeance.
eek.gif
It's extremely noticeable.
------------------
William
Go Bucs!!
MyDVDs

Per Eriksson

Auditioning
Another problem that seems to be more spread with this disc is the absence of the use of surround channels.
On several discs (and different systems) the surround speakers are totally quiet except for some short scenes.
However on the extra material (disc 2) all the speakers are in use, for example the Vietnam scene.
Anyone that has heard anything about problems with some sounds systems ?
-- Per Eriksson

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
quote: On several discs (and different systems) the surround speakers are totally quiet except for some short scenes.[/quote] The same thing occurred with the laserdisc. It reflects the style of the original mix, which was heavily weighted toward the front.
quote: However on the extra material (disc 2) all the speakers are in use, for example the Vietnam scene.[/quote] I don't have the disc yet, but I'll bet the extra material is 2-channel. If so, your processor is probably kicking into ProLogic decoding, and the additional activity in the surrounds is probably a result of channel "bleed".
M.
[Edited last by Michael Reuben on August 26, 2001 at 01:45 PM]

bill lopez

Second Unit
I got my dvd early (yeah!).
And I too noticed the sound a bit like CROUCHING TIGER dvd that the sound went weak for a few secounds. The laserdisc sound was way better. More boom in the Vietnam scenes.

DanR

Supporting Actor
This movie was made in 1994, and certainly by today's standards of pretty much everything being an "active mixe", this one is going to seem disappointing. In reality though, that's how the movie was made to sound from the beginning.
As has been mentioned, this is also how the LD sounds.
Regards,
Dan

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
I worked at a movie theatre when Gump was first released in July of 1994, and the sound only really kicked in during the Vietnam scenes, and in particular the first shots of the helicopter and "Fortunate Son." The soundtrack was very active during this sequence.

Jeff

Supporting Actor
Well, I just saw the DVD tonight and happy to say I didn't see any lines on the top or bottom. I looked for them all throughout the movie too. I also have a Sony Wega, like Simon. The picture was much better than I expected, from some of the comments I've read. It is very sharp but I don't know if it's edge enhancement. There are no jagged lines or anything like that and only a trace of grain in a few scenes. The colors on this DVD are amazing.
I'd say it looks much better than the laserdisc I once owned.
Jeff

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
Thanks Jeff for your comments
It appears that it is just my copy so I think I will send it back and get another one.
Simon

Bjoern Roy

Second Unit
Simon,
its not your disc!
The 1 pixel high darker lines near the top and bottom black mask are due to the heavy use of edge enhancement on this transfer :puke:
Whenever vertical edge enhancement (aperture correction) is used, the distinct, sharp 'edge' between the black mask and the picture frame leads to a 'ringing' effect into the picture area. Compared to the real color of the picture edge, the ringing can be seen as a bright 'halo' that seperates the frame from the mask, followed by a dark line, basically the negative part of the ringing/ripple.
Forrest_Lines.jpg

This is a shot from the very end of Forrest Gump. The left half is a crop from the top of the frame, the right half is a crop from the bottom of the frame. The brighter border and dark line described above is clearly visible here. This can be seen through the whole movie.
The characteristic of this 'ringing' is excatly the same as on every other contrasty edge in the movie, thanks to the wonderful EE applied.
I don't agree that it is on par with the EE in the new DHWAV transfer, let alone the old!
Its comparable to the worst examples from Columbia or New Line.
What a shame!
------------------
"Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity" (Bullet Tooth Tony in 'Snatch')
My HT in action (Screenshot Page) | My Ultimate 'Edge Enhancement' Guide | My DVD/LD SPL page

DanR

Supporting Actor
After a 4 year wait, we're going to get an edge enhanced DVD picture from a dirty print.
angry.gif

This is pathetic. So, now Paramount gets up to date on the features, but the video quality drops. D'oh!!!
Regards,
Dan

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
I just had a quick skip through all the chapters and saw the lines on just about every scene. That said, if I hadn't have perused this thread I may not have noticed them at all.
The transfer per se looks fine to me, very sharp. How anyone can say the quality has dropped is beyond me. Dropped compared to what exactly? It's by far the best the film has ever looked on a home format, thin black lines be damned.
------------------
Link Removed
"One does not simply walk into Mordor."
Link Removed

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
Gerhard, I sold my LD off some time ago, but the DVD has a similar sound balance - namely front-biased. The surrounds are there, just not very active. Except in the Vietnam scene when the burst into life.
It's just the way the soundtrack was made.
------------------
Link Removed
"One does not simply walk into Mordor."
Link Removed

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks