What's new

Forrest Gump DVD problem (1 Viewer)

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
Has anyone had a problem with the framing on the new Forrest Gump DVD
I noticed 2 horizontal black lines along the top and bottom of the picture near to the edge of the fram. I wondered if this might be a framing fault with the DVD, or if it is just my disc. It is difficult to see as the lines are very close to the edge of the picture, but they are distracting

DanR

Supporting Actor
It's hard to tell if this is a joke thread or not.
It's also hard to tell based on your description whether you are in fact describing what is known as "Letterbox".
The aspect ratio of Gump escapes my memory right now, but even on a 16:9 television, a 1.85:1 or 2.35:1 aspect ratio will still have a little bit of "black lines" at the top and bottom. Are these the black lines you are referring to?
confused.gif

Regards,
Dan

MichaelPe

Screenwriter
It's hard to tell if this is a joke thread or not.
Indeed. But based on Simon's past posts, it is clear that he has a perfect understanding of aspect ratios and letterboxing.
Simon, would you care to give us a more precise explanation of the problem? Your description "2 horizontal black lines along the top and bottom of the picture" can be interpreted in several ways. What kind of player are you using?

SteveMc

Stunt Coordinator
quote: What kind of player are you using?[/quote]
Hopefully not a VHS player
laugh.gif

Oh this thread is full of jollies
biggrin.gif

{EDIT}did i just say jollies???
------------------
Crash
"I don't even own a gun, let alone many guns that would necessitate an entire rack."
Help us get the Friday the 13th films-UNCUT. Click Here or here
[Edited last by SteveMc on August 21, 2001 at 11:32 PM]
[Edited last by SteveMc on August 21, 2001 at 11:32 PM]

Luis A

Second Unit
Forrest Gump is 2.40:1 and enhanced for widescreen tv's,so there will be black bars on top and bottom.Dan,a 1.85:1 aspect ratio will fill the entire screen on a 16x9 set with NO black bars.
wink.gif

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
I'm guessing that you're seeing a "Perfect Storm" problem where the "black bars" in the 16:9 area are at 0 IRE(Japan NTSC standard), while your player is generating bars to pad out the downcoversion at 7 IRE (US NTSC Standard)
Jeff Kleist

Roger Mathus

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roger Mathus
Simon, I can see the lines you mention just inside of the picture area. The one at the top of the frame is easier to see. The lines are very faint but can be seen with solid backgrounds like sky. I had not noticed the lines until I read your post. My copy will not arrive until next week but I have a borrowed copy from a neighbor.

Jin E

Second Unit
Do you guys have Sony Trinitron displays? If you look closely you can see two horizontal lines usually about 1/3 of the way up and 1/3 of the way down the picture tube. It's just the way the set is designed. The Sony Trinitron doesn't use a conventional shadow mask, instead it uses many fine vertical wires to provide the separation between the phosphor dots on the screen. What you might be seeing is the shadow cast by a single horizontal wire that is there to help ensure that the vertical ones stay in place. Or then again... there might be something up with the Gump disc.
------------------
-Jin
My Theater

Artur Meinild

Screenwriter
Sound like Trinitron wires to me!
The original poster never mentioned he had a 16:9 TV, in fact I bet Simon has a 4:3 TV, and that's why the wires are "near to the edge of the fram".
------------------
~ Stud. Polyt. ~ Artur Meinild ~

DanR

Supporting Actor
Luis, 16:9 ~ 1.78:1, so there will be small black bars at the top and bottom of a 1.85:1 film.
However, based on what others are saying, this does not seem to be what Simon is talking about anyway.
Regards,
Dan

If you read Simon's and some of the other posts carefully, he's referring to lines inside the picture area, not the bars resulting from mismatch of film aspect ratio and screen ratio.
Still appears we haven't resolved his problem. Wish I could help, but I don't have this DVD yet.
Cheers,
Chris
------------------
Christian A. Sonntag
"The world owes you nothing. Take responsibility for your own actions!"

Eric Stuckey

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric Stuckey
what the hell are ALL you guys taking about?
This dosent even come out on dvd till this coming tuesday!
Are you all taking about vhs?
or did you use the force to get copys a week early then street date?

Jeff

Supporting Actor
Every week, someone is always surprised that someone else got a DVD early. :)
Eric, not all retailers stick to the plan.
Jeff

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
what the hell are ALL you guys taking about?
This dosent even come out on dvd till this coming tuesday!
Are you all taking about vhs?
or did you use the force to get copys a week early then street date?
Not all the participants in this thread have the disc. Those who do (or most of them) are outside the U.S. Non-U.S. customers often get Region 1 discs a week or two early.
M.

Anthony_H

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Anthony
...And place questionable posts to receive the attention of having it early... no offense to the author of this one.. as we havent figured out what is going on.

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
I am aware of aspect ratios and that Forrest Gump is 2.35 :1 . I am actually referring to lines on the actual picture itself, it is just that they are hard to see as they are close to the edge of the picture near the black bars of the widescreen image
Sorry if my description was a little vague - perhaps it is just a fault with mine.
Simon

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
Having read some more of the posts I thought I should clarify this a bit more
I use an LCD projector, and also have a widescreen television.
I am not referring to the actual black bars of the widescreen image and I am aware that you still see these bars when viewing films with a 2.35:1 aspect ratio, even on a 16:9 widescreen television.
On both my TV and projector, I can see single black lines across the screen just above & below the black bars of the widescreen image.
They appeared more noticeable towards the end of the film, at Gump's house
Hope this helps, and I hope it is just a fault on mine and not a problem with the mastering
Simon

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks