Forrest Gump: Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Rich Romero, Sep 7, 2002.

1. Rich Romero

Rich Romero Supporting Actor

Forrest Gump is just one of the best movies to come along, ever. Bash it all you want for it's alleged social commentary, or the fact it beat Pulp Fiction. If I'm having a bad day, I can always go on a trip through time with Forrest Gump. The way it quickly tells the story of the man while integrating an excellent soundtrack and so much history is amazing. I remember first seeing it on video when I was 9. Me and my sister stayed up real late on a school night to finish it. Back in that day it was a big deal because if we were caught we'd get in trouble but it was so good we just couldn't stop watching it. Did you know that the running segment in this film is the greatest seven minutes ever? I thought I'd inform you. [​IMG]

2. cafink

cafink Producer

Carl Fink

3. Rich Romero

Well, I'm 16, so 9 years old feels like a good while ago. I'm already starting to feel old. I'll never be able to enjoy the greatness of my childhood again.

4. Sam E. Torres

Sam E. Torres Second Unit

forrest gump rules! just the other day i was writing my resignation letter for burger king and at the end i wrote "i'm pretty tired...i think i'll go home now," and i just walked out of my remaining 3 hour shift(ROYALLY screwed the king over...[​IMG] ).

5. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

I also think Forrest Gump is a great movie and have no idea why so many people don't like it.

6. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

I love this movie, as well as my grandmother and sister. We watch it alot together. I practically wore my VHS watching it with them all the time before getting the DVD.. I remember seeing it in the theater too, which I found to be a fun experience.

7. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Great film, still brings a couple of tears to my eyes today, whenever, I watch certain scenes from this film. Roger Ebert just said on his show today that Hanks performace in this film was his best. This was the film that convinced me that Hanks was a great actor with an unlimited potential in the scope of his future film performances.

Crawdaddy

8. Paul Case

Paul Case Supporting Actor

[​IMG]
    I remember just being completely owned by this film when I saw it during a sneak preview screening right before it was released. [​IMG] I went back to see it two other times in the theater after that because I loved it so much. Like Robert, this movie is the movie that really convinced me that Tom Hanks is a great actor. He was absolutely perfect as Forrest and really gave the movie the heart and soul that makes it work so well. Combine that performance with the great direction, storytelling, and humor in Forrest Gump and you have a classic film that stands the test of time.
    In fact, I think I'll go pop in the DVD right now!

9. David Dennison

David Dennison Second Unit

Great Thread! [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I remember seeing Gump the first weekend of its release and falling in love with the movie and Hanks's acting performance. I too do not understand the bashing it gets on this forum. I absolutely think it deserved best picture then, although today I am still torn between which is the best of the three great films that year: Pulp Fiction, Shawshank Redemption, or Forrest Gump.

10. Ben Osborne

Ben Osborne Second Unit

It's disingenuous to ask why people don't like a film in an appreciation thread for that film. Anyone explaining why he doesn't like it will probably be scolded for badmouthing a film in an appreciation thread and overwhelmed by the film's defenders.

11. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

Yeah, it probably would be. But I don't get your point. Nobody in this thread has asked anyone to come in and explain. Some of us have said we don't understand the negative reaction, but no one has asked for an explanation.

12. Robert Crawford

Robert

I don't think it's disingenuous, but it's not the wisest thing to do because you're inviting others that disagree with appreciating a certain film to defend their point of view by posting in a thread, meant to be a lovefest for "Forrest Gump".

If we don't want others to express their negative view about "Forrest Gump" then don't invite them indirectly to puke in this thread by bringing up the topic of them not liking the film.

Crawdaddy

13. Chad R

Chad R Cinematographer

Chad Rouch

That just makes me feel older, and I'm too damn young to feel old. (although my 30th birthday looming over me is freaking me out a bit.)

This is a fantastic movie, much better than the listless 'Pulp Fiction' with an entire cast of Quentin Tarrantino sound-a-likes.

What's fabulous about 'Forrest Gump' is that he lives through extremely turbulent times but never judges it. He never preaches. When he tells the story of Bubba dying he doesn't say the Vietnamn War is bad, just that his friend died. In fact the only time he's allowed to editorialize on the Vietnam War it's cut off by the 'boinker' pulling out the mic cords.

14. Jordan_E

Jordan_E Cinematographer

Forrest Gump is a fantastic movie, although I wish my old LD player had not died, because I prefer the LD DD over the DVD, but that's just an opinion, not against the movie itself.

15. Rich Romero

I forgot to mention something here. Did Forrest Gump win the academy award for Cinematography. Watching it last night I realized how great it is. Also, if anyone has time, watch the running segment with all the shots of Forrest running. Do any of these shots remind you of specific shots from Lord of the Rings. A couple of them are eerily similar.

16. Robert Crawford

Robert
    AAN for cinematography, but it lost to Legends of the Fall.

Crawdaddy

17. Tim RH

Tim RH Second Unit

I think it's a great film too, one of my personal favorites. And as much as I love PULP FICTION and THE SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION, I think FORREST GUMP deserved the Academy Award for Best Picture. The ending gets to me every time (and I've seen it countless times).
    Rich, I'm only 17, and you're making me feel old! [​IMG]

18. Dennis Pagoulatos

Dennis Pagoulatos Supporting Actor

Dennis
    There's a lot of love in this thread! [​IMG]
    I love both Pulp Fiction and Forrest Gump (am I one of the few?) I saw them each 4 times in the theater (if I remember correctly) I wasn't disappointed that Gump won (or PF lost) the Academy Award, they are both great films IMO.
    Zemeckis is one of the most successful directors ever that still doesn't seem to get the credit he deserves; he's right up there with Spielberg AFAIC.
    -Dennis

19. Steve Christou

Steve Christou Long Member

Steve Christou
    I enjoyed Forrest Gump too, although normally I wouldn't go out of my way to see a Tom Hanks movie, I did see this one, loved the Vietnam section, which sounds great on dvd btw, and Gary Sinise as Lt.Dan was just perfect, loved that character.
    I think the one big reason this film is hated by many film fans is that it beat Tarantino's Pulp Fiction for Best Picture at the Oscars.
    Personally I prefer "It's the one with 'bad mother****er' written on it" Pulp Fiction to "Stupid is as stupid does" Forrest Gump, but I'm very happy to have both on dvd.[​IMG]

20. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

Forrest Gump was a great film and it deserved to win the Oscar. Funny that you should bring up the running segment, Rich, as most people I've talked to always say they wish the running segment was cut out of the film [​IMG] I thought it was one of the strongest segments of the film. Funny but it also lent so much to how Forrest was still a child, in most ways, in that he tried to literally run from his pain. It was poignant and very well constructed. But, for me, the top sequence is definitely when Jenny leaves. Forrest goes through the house looking for her and all you see is Forrest looking in a room or sitting and staring and there is no sound...only silence. I've always just been dumbstruck at how wonderfully that worked.
    Bruce