Former Worldcom CEO gets 25 years in the slammer!

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Drew Bethel, Jul 13, 2005.

1. Drew Bethel

Drew Bethel Screenwriter

2. Julian Reville

Julian Reville Screenwriter

After the screwing he gave investors, let's hope he soon has a size 12 a-hole.

And why can't we put him (and some others) on the chain gang? I think this is one of the more effective ways to deter or correct bad behavior. Hard work and humiliation.

3. LewB

LewB Screenwriter

While I love the fact that this guy got 25 years, I feel compelled to paraphrase Eddie Murphy in Trading Places.
    "The only way to hurt rich people is to turn 'em into poor people"

4. Mark Sherman

Mark Sherman Supporting Actor

good to hear that he got 25 years. What makes these guys think that they are above the law is beyond me.

maybe this will send a message to other GREEDY CORPORATE FUCKERS out there.

5. LewB

LewB Screenwriter

Check out 'The Smartest Guys In The Room' It's about Enron (Kenny-boy and Skilling).

6. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    The man is 63. He's a terrible crook, but, please, let we stay civilized in our comments.

Hey, being tremendously rich didn't help him in court. The US judicial system seems to work as impartial as it should - contrary to what I read here and there. Hats off for you Americans!

Cees

7. LewB

LewB Screenwriter

This is a new phenomena. Usually 'white collar' crime pays well and has usually not been treated as harshly as 'regular' street crime.

soapbox on -
    As someone who works for a major corporation who has had all kinds of benefits cut and seen a bunch of good folks lose their jobs while our execs take baths in money, I hope that all the %*&'ers wind up in jail with Mr. Bubba. I hope their fortunes are taken away and given to charity or those who they shafted.
    Gotta wonder if the lawyers for these guys will choose jury trials in the future. There have been several high profile cases where the execs were found guilty. I wonder if the lawyers (whose gonad size must rival their client's), figure they can flim-flam a bunch of dumb common jurors. You have to think that finding a jury of folks that haven't been affected directly or indirectly by corporate greed is gonna be a hard task. Makes a plea bargain -if offered- look good.

soapbox off

8. Julian Reville

Julian Reville Screenwriter

Sorry if I offended you Cees, but that stuff's a fact of life in USA prisons. I think it's pretty horrible that rape can happen in a "controlled" environment, but there it is.

If it were up to me, every single convict would be locked in a one-person cell, except for the time he spent on the chain gang.

Meanwhile, this crook in question has chosen to steal from the very people he was supposed to protect: his investors. People are tired of seeing their life savings and sometimes their jobs go down the toilet because of some greedy "smart-guy". I've got no sympathy for whatever may befall him.

9. Patrick_S

Patrick_S Producer

What the hell does age have to do with anything?

10. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron

Absolutely nothing and I for one am glad to see that this mans final days on this earth will be spent behind bars.

11. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

And as several contributors to this thread have made clear, the threat or commission of homosexual rape is a continuing delight to a large part of the populace.
    I hear this sort of thing all the time at work and in popular
    TV shows. It's embarrassing on so many levels.
    I don't know a solution to this problem but I do wish people would give some though to whether they'd like folks coming out of prison to be crazier, angrier and more unbalanced that when they went in. How would that help society?

12. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

[​IMG].

Eh... at least they're not calling for the electric chair this time.

--
    H

13. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Ebbers isn't the first white collar criminal to get a stiff sentence in the current wave of corporate scandal prosecutions, and he won't be the last. John and Timothy Rigas, former CEO and CFO of Adelphia Communications, got 15 and 20 years, respectively. Dennis Kozlowski, formerly of Tyco, is facing a prison term of similar length when he comes up for sentencing (in August, I believe).

M.

14. Thomas Newton

Thomas Newton Screenwriter

Good thing for Ebbers that he didn't steal a black and white TV.

A guy who did that spent 35 years in prison.

"Imagine if it had been a color set."

15. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

Anyone that think 25 years in a minimum security pen isn't enough has never spent a stretch in jail or looked into what it is like. It isn't the rape or guard beatings that wear a person out, it's the endless wall of day to day tedium and utter boredom of looking at the same four walls for years. Prisoners get to work out, eat, sleep, shower, watch TV, and go to classes sure, but they only do it when a guard says they do. It's hard to imagine what it's like to lose your freedom like that, the short of it is it is rough. You can't make any decisions about your own routine or make any changes to it (that's a killer.)

They step out of line or give a guard any flak wahtsoever, it's a beating and solitary until they are half nuts.

This guy got creamed at his trial, justice was served. He lost almost all his family's money and may spend the rest of his "retirement" in prison while his wife scrapes out a living at home. He's in a hole, you better believe it sucks for him.

I'm sure glad they nailed him though, what a bunch of ruthless crooks. Keep on it feds, lots more where Ebbers came from (Haliburton anyone?)

16. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

Granted, he was only convicted of second-degree burglary, which today would only get you three years maximum.

17. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

While I am glad he was punished severely, I still can sympathize with the someone who will spend his final years in prison, especially for a white-collar crime.

18. Kirk Gunn

Kirk Gunn Screenwriter

Is there a detailed listing of the crimes he committed ? Most of the news blurbs were pretty high-level summaries, i.e. - Fraud.

What exactly did he lie about, tell people to lie about, defrauded, etc...

19. Patrick_S

Patrick_S Producer

Don't diminish his crimes just because they were what we euphemistically term "white color". The reality is this man broke numerous laws in an effort to increase his own personal wealth. He is basically a thief and is no better then the average purse grabber or cat burglar.

Some might even argue that he is even be worse because he already was in the top 1% of income earners in the country and that wasn’t good enough for him. So he embarked in a crime spree that adversely affected the lives of thousands on people.

I don't feel sorry for him, he did the crimes and now he must pay.

20. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

I would hope that most would think him worse. Granted he did not kill anyone, but he ruined thousands of lives. I'm a sworn capitalist and have nothing but praise for titans of industry, but you have to play by the rules and take care of the people under you. This guy did neither.

For all the people that hate Bill Gates, at least he can say that he made more millionaires out of people who worked under him than any other person in history.