Former Paradigm studio 100v2. What have you upgraded to?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by BobRoulier, Nov 30, 2003.

1. BobRoulier

BobRoulier Second Unit

I actually have studio 100s, cc and adp surrounds and I have been pleased with their performance but I recently brought home some Theil 2.4 and realized how laid back my paradigms are. Dont get me wrong they still sound great and the differences are not that great but I would like to listen to more speakers and see if I can find something that offers a bit more without having to remorgage my home.

my considerations are

Martin logans
    Rockets
    B&Ws (804s)
    snell
    atlantic technology (8200 ultra 2)
    paradigm studio 100s v3 (which I can home demo)

and in no particular order I am sure there are lots more to consider so please ad you thoughts but I would really like to hear from former 100 owners who upgraded

Thanks Bob

2. Mike Veroukis

Mike Veroukis Second Unit

Michael
    Well, don't foget about the mythical Paradigm Signature series. I'm sure they will exist as a mass market product one day! One can only hope!!! [​IMG]

- Mike

3. Mike_T_

Mike_T_ Stunt Coordinator

I have the 100's V2 and for a while considered an upgrade. I was very happy with them, but my trade in time was almost up. I only listened to the JM Lab 926 priced at around 4 grand. They had better imaging and were more precise, but NOT for 2 thousand more then I paid for the digm's. I think what you'll find is that yes, you can find better speakers but I think unless you get into the next level of speakers, 8-10 grand, I doubt you'll find much that makes you think it would be worth it.

When the 100's are driven with 3-400 wpc, they can hold their own.

4. Nick V

Nick V Second Unit

5. Ernest Yee

Ernest Yee Supporting Actor

100s w/ 3-400wpc? How does that work? Is that 1 shared amp or 1 mistake in wording?

-Ernest

6. Khoa Tran

Khoa Tran Supporting Actor

he meant 300-400 wpc....

you can do that with an earthquake cinenova =P

7. Ernest Yee

Ernest Yee Supporting Actor

oh baby! - [​IMG]

Those are the amps that I auditioned my current Paradigm 40s w/ - very nice! I'm still looking for a pair of 100s! [​IMG]

8. Scott_N

Scott_N Second Unit

Well at the time I owned 100v2's I had one system. Now I have a 2-channel system with Tetra Space's as my speakers and I use Def Tech in my HT. To me the 100v2's were bright and I think Thiel is way way bright. Some speakers to audition would be Dynaudio, Revel, Audio Physic, Montana, JMLab, and KEF.

9. Mike Veroukis

Mike Veroukis Second Unit

Michael
    I'm surprised the Veritas rarely get mentioned when Paradigm owners are considering an upgrade.

Also, if I were to spend a serious chunk of change on new speakers I'd seriosly consider the Totem Acoustic Winds.

[​IMG]

I listened to those a while back and was blown away. However, they're in the Signature S8's price range so it would be a tough call.

- Mike

10. BobRoulier

BobRoulier Second Unit

Wow those speakers are beautiful[​IMG]

Ok tomorrow I am heading to an audio store that have Monitor audio gold reference they have the 10s,20 and the 60 on display with an mc-8 and lex amp. The guy said I can bring my paradigms if I want[​IMG]

I will bring some test disks and favorite dvds and a buddy is coming too he is custom installer so it should be a fun comparison[​IMG]

Ill let you guys know what I think.

Bob