Former Enron exec dies: Suicide... or murder?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by SteveA, Jan 25, 2002.

1. SteveA

SteveA Supporting Actor

The former vice-president of Enron was found dead of a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head. Any consipiracy theorists want to chime in on this one?

2. Shayne Lebrun

Shayne Lebrun Screenwriter

"According to the official police reports, the alleged mob boss shot himself in the back of the head. Twice. After roughing himself up. He must of been really really remorseful."

Forget where I read that, but it's funny.

3. Butch C

Butch C Second Unit

The President of Kazhizstan committed suicide...he shot himself in the back 45 times.- the only good line to ever come out of "Just Shoot Me"

4. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

c'mon guys, this is very serious....it's tragic, and I my prayers go out to his family.

5. Brett_B

Brett_B Supporting Actor

6. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

Who'd have murdered him?

7. BrianB

BrianB Producer

He was also an outspoken critic of Enron's accounting methods - he was quite vocal about their problems internally, and quit a long time ago (I believe).

A real shame for his family & friends :-(

8. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Well, given the political (very seriously so) volatility of this subject, count on this thread being assassinated itself--and soon.

But I have no sympathy for the guy. I only have sympathy for all those mid- and lower-echelon employees who got bilked out of their jobs and their retirement savings. Now, that's the real tragedy.

People are going to go to jail because of this debacle--while their victims go to the poorhouse.

9. Ben Motley

Ben Motley Supporting Actor

10. SteveA

SteveA Supporting Actor

The former exec, J. Clifford Baxter, quit Enron last May. If he was indeed a critic of Enron's accounting method, then it's possible that he could have provided some damning testimony against folks at Enron, Arthur Anderson, or even some political figures.

In an effort to keep politics out of this thread, I won't speculate any further.

11. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Can't wait for the Michael Mann film... [​IMG]

12. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

Michael Mann? Heck, this merits Oliver Stone! A little known fact: this guy assassinated both of the Kennedys. [​IMG]

13. John_Bonner

John_Bonner Supporting Actor

14. CharlesD

CharlesD Screenwriter

Its is not uncommon for white collar criminals, when facing the prospect of jail time, to take "the easy way out". The prospect of going from rich and powerful to jail-bird is not very appealing to them (not that it is apealing to anyone).

In this case there will also likely be huge publicity for what may turn out to be criminal conduct on the part of Enron executives and the possibility of political corruption. The ensuing trip through the Washinton scandal machinary will ruin people's lives even if it turns out they are not criminaly responsible.

He might have thought that, by killing himself, he would at least save his family the inevitable enormous legal bills that those involved with this scandal will likely have to pay, guilty or not.

15. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

The initial report that I read stated that there was a suicide note, but the contents were not disclosed.

16. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    I thought this was over that meeting he held with the Bobs.
    Peace Out~[​IMG]

17. Matthew Chmiel

Matthew Chmiel Cinematographer

Where's Knapp when you need him?

I, myself, think that it could've been that the person was murdered (and I wouldn't be shocked if that was the truth).

18. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

The Enron scandal is already far too big and far too public for anyone involved to benefit from the death of a single individual.

M.

19. Mike boettner

Mike boettner Stunt Coordinator

ok i was born in a cave..... what is enron????

20. Charles J P

Charles J P Cinematographer

CJ Paul
    Just being the conspiracy theorist that I am, I say he was bumped. To the person who said that many white collar criminals will take the easy way out rather than see jail time... you dont think there is a group of other execs that maybe would think that this guy could have assured that they see jail time. I tell you, offing someone else out of fear is probably more of the 'easy way' out then killing yourself.

NOTE: The above is purely speculation. Any resemblance it has to the truth is purely coincidental.