What's new

Format ? (1 Viewer)

Daniel D D

Auditioning
Have a few questions regarding dvd formats.

I have noticed that their is differences in format as Special Edition, Gold Edition, Collectors Edition etc. So which is the better and how do you know when purchasing a particular title if their is a better format out their also. I do have a widescreen HDTV, so I want the best format possible.

Last question, and it sort of falls in line with the above ?The different wide screen formats sort of have me baffled. 2.35/ 16.9 / anomorphic / full screen etc. I know it has to do with the overall width displayed but does it really matter since I have a 16/9 TV. Will I not be seeing as much of as possible with certain formats (like pan and scan 4/3, DEATH TO IT)

Thanks for your input.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Special/Gold/Collector's edition etc are all just different names for the same thing
Best way to find the best versions is to read reviews on sites like The Digital Bits, DVD File, DVD Angle and so on, which are all linked from the main page
No matter what kind of television you have, you'll see the same basic picture, but with an anamorphic/enchanced for widescreen television movie you will get a 30% gain in onscreen picture height.
Read Widescreen for Dummies at the Digital Bits to understand aspect ratios and anamorphic better
http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articl...c/welcome.html

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
There are three parameters regarding aspect ratio but for the most part only two are addressed leaving the DVD buyer in a huge void.
1. Whether the DVD is standard (4:3 optimized) or "anamorphic" (16:9 enhanced), just these two possibilities. The 16:9 enhanced format is meant for any source aspect ratios 1.77:1 (16:9) and greater.
2. The aspect ratio of the movie as intended by the director and as seen in the theater when properly projected (1.33:1, 1.85:1, 2.00:1 2.35:1, being the most common but there are are others -- specified on the DVD package label much of the time)
3. The amount of the picture actually given to you on the DVD. Except for pan and scan versions formatted to 4:3 this is usually not specified.
So the DVD might be specified as 16:9 enhanced and the movie aspect ratio given as 2;35:1 but you might get something like 2.00:1 and not know that until you open the package and play the disk
Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks