format quality evaluation

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike Kennedy, Feb 2, 2001.

1. Mike Kennedy

Mike Kennedy Auditioning

Having just finished upgrading just about everything, I decided to do a personal evaluation on all my different formats. I will get tired of playing with all this stuff one of these days, but not just yet.
    My evaluation (from 0 to 10)
    Dish demo; HDTV specials (super bowl, golf): 10
    Other HDTV (networks, dish movies): 7-9
    DVD's 6-8
    Laser discs 5-6
    c-band satellite 4-6
    OTA broadcasts 4-5
    Dish standard def satellite 2-4
    static 0
    Surprises:
    - the quality range on HDTV
    - the high quality of dvd's on HDTV sets
    - c-band quality over dish network
    - upconverts--YUUCK
    Is this consistent with other's views?
    Mike

2. Judy Y

Judy Y Stunt Coordinator

I would say you have broken it down quite nicely- but I don't know a thing about c-band!

3. John Perun

John Perun Auditioning

Good evaluation, I would put C band in the same catagory as Laser Discs.
    ------------------
    Learn & Live

4. Frank

Frank Stunt Coordinator

5. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

I agree, C-band can look very nice, when it isn't suffering from the black sparklies. I've noticed that not even the DBS companies with huge dishes at their uplink sites can get rid of the sparklies on some of the channels. At its best, C-band is somewhere between laserdisc and DVD.
    However, I would rank OTA NTSC broadcast below DBS. NTSC broadcast has no more than 336 lines of horizontal resolution, plus it suffers from noise and ghosting. DBS is capable of more resolution and its mode of transmission doesn't cause noise or ghosts, instead there are MPEG artifacts. The local channels on DBS are heavily compressed and they are much worse than both the broadcast signals and the other channels on DBS, but generally DBS looks better than broadcast.

6. Mike Kennedy

Mike Kennedy Auditioning

Frank,
    You have a point that the best HDTV is significantly better than the best dvd, but on my system, not 5 times better. On a linear scale, I would probably change my hdtv rating to 7-20. However, some of my dvd's in my opinion have been at least equal to some of the hd stuff I have seen.
    Mike