Format and OS Reinstall

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave Schofield, Feb 27, 2002.

1. Dave Schofield

Dave Schofield Second Unit

I've reformatted and reinstalled the OS a few times over the life of my computer, but I can't for the life of me remember how I did it. The last time I did it was two years ago (and did it about 5 times in a row because of a, ultimately, unrelated problem). Can anyone help me out?
    I now have a CD-R as my only CD drive, do I have to take any precautions (ie download basic drivers) for this? Its been so long that I don't even remember how I coaxed the machine back into DOS, loaded the CD-drive... I have a full copy of WinXP Pro now, so it might have a "fresh install" option, should I just use that?
    After formatting and reintall; I've got 6 and 30 gig drives, should I just install Windows XP (and Office XP, with its greedy little hands) to the smaller one and install everything else to the bigger drive?
    Thanks for the help!
    I figure that I'm graduating college in a few months and I have the tentacles of millions of "educational" programs still burried in my computer. (Right after my last reinstall i installed a electrical circuits program called SPICE and I still see the message for this program during startup [​IMG] ) I'm going to have to get rid of them at some point and now that I have a CD-R drive I've been able to backup all of my documents... I've also upgraded to an OS that has most of the drivers that I need (last time I spent two weeks finding all of the drivers, since I mostly had to run back and forth from the computer lab on campus with my (un)trusty Floppy Disk).

2. Dave Schofield

Dave Schofield Second Unit

I should open my eyes, Rob has a post identical to this that he posted yesterday. My apologies.

3. Brian Hepler

Brian Hepler Stunt Coordinator

Dave,

The easiest thing is to back up everything onto CDRs, including drivers for major components (video card, CDR, network adapter/modem) and then let WinXp do the hard work.

Get into your Bios and see if you can't boot from CD. Most computers these days can do this. Depending on your motherboard, it will be called Boot Order or Boot Device or some other fun thing. The default is usually floppy, hard disk, CD drive. Make a note of the current settings. Change it so that the CD drive is first, and then save your changes.

Put the WinXP disk in the CD drive, reboot your system and it should take you into the OS installation menu upon reboot. The setup program should let you repartition & reformat during the OS installation.