What's new

Formal Wear Question! (1 Viewer)

JamieD

Supporting Actor
Howdy folks. Just a curiosity question here, I've rented a tux for a "special occasion" and I just discovered it comes with cuff links and studs. Now, considering the occasion in question isn't REALLY formal, I may not use them.. which is further fueled by the fact that while I'm sorta sure what cuff links are for, I have NO idea what to do with the studs..:b

Any suggestions/sites?

Jeff Braddock

Second Unit
The studs are to be used like buttons on the front of your shirt. There should be a hole just above (or below, but all that I've worn are above) the button. Insert the stud from the inside of the shirt through the hole and then through the actual button hole. I don't know how clear that is, I may have muddied the issue even more... Keep us posted and have fun.

Michael*K

Screenwriter
Jeff gave a good description and I'll add one thing that might seem obvious, though I didn't know it the first time I ever wore a tux. The studs fasten the shirt INSTEAD of the buttons. Don't try pushing the stud through and then trying to button it as well.

You may not even need to wear the studs if you aren't wearing a bow tie. Last month, I had to wear a tux with a Windsor tie that covered up the front of the shirt, so there was no need for the studs. One thing to keep in mind if you do wear them.. Make sure the studs are secure in the button holes. If one falls back out and you lose it, you'll generally be responsible for the replacement cost.

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
As for the cufflinks.. the same sort of rules apply... don't try to button the cuffs and try to use the cufflinks. And, if you are using the cufflinks, pinch the cuff together so the holes align and fit the links through so the cuff forms sort of a upside-down teardrop shape and the decorative side of the links is facing out.

Thats hard to explain.. but I see people wearing them wrong all the time.

Oh.. and ditch the plastic shoes that come with a rental. If you can.. wear your own dress shoes.. your feet will be much happier.

Bill Catherall

Screenwriter
If it's an event that's formal enough for a tux then use the studs and cufflinks. They accent the tux.

I also second the advice about the shoes. Just make sure your shoes are well shined.

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
What Bill said...if you are wearing a tuxedo, you should wear the cufflinks and studs. Coincidentally, I am going to a formal charity event tonight. One of these days, I am going to have to buy a tuxedo so I don't have to keep renting.

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Back in the day, I purchased a (quality) used tux for ~$99. I recouped this cost after just a few dances & concert performances. You can get different color vests or bowties for some variety. Just another option worth considering...

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
I’ve owned a Tux for over ten years and I’m kind of perplexed by some of the remarks posted in this thread.

Don't try pushing the stud through and then trying to button it as well.
None of my Tuxedo shirts even have buttons where the studs and the cuff links belong. I’ve always considered links and studs to be necessary for the proper tux look so it never occurred to me that there are tuxedo shirts with buttons for the cuff and studs.

One word of advice, if you do go and buy a tux it’s best to go with one that leans towards the classic style and not something that is the “look” is year. There is nothing sadder then spending the dollars only to be saddled with something that is hopelessly out of fashion the next year.

Michael*K

Screenwriter
Well Patrick, if you find that you've put on some weight at some point and have to rent a tux, you'll find that the shirts come ready to wear with or without the cufflinks or studs.

JamieD

Supporting Actor
Thanks for all the help/suggestions folks. The dress shirt that can with my Tux was not "stud ready", likely as a result of my requesting a Windsor Knot tie.. have NEVER liked Bow Ties. I did pop in the cufflinks, however, and thanks for that. Everything went off without a hitch, and maybe I'll throw a picture up somewhere later!

HomeTheaterForum: Where the well dressed Audiophile goes for help. 8)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks