forigen film don't get dubbed, but english films do?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Norm, Jun 26, 2003.

1. Norm

Norm Cinematographer

Norm
    Why is it there are almost never alternative English dub's on foreign language movies, for the English market, but when English language movies are in non English markets they have a dubbed version. Its almost like the English speakers aren't allowed to have a dubbed version too! A lot of English speakers out here are not film purists and sometime we don't want to read a film!

2. rbirk

rbirk Stunt Coordinator

The are a few British and Australian movies dubbed to American English out there [​IMG]

3. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

Check out The Harder They Come. Even though everyone is speaking English, it's often subtitled (and necessarily so). It's actually very bizarre and kind of funny.

4. AdrianS

AdrianS Auditioning

I would tend to disagree with this, I personally prefer subtitles; subtitles all the way. Dubbing completely destroys a film; The way the actor delivers their lines, the tone, the inflection of the voice, it's all lost through dubbing.

It's like taking a work of art and repainting it in different colors.

If it were up to me I'd ban dubbing completely, but then again it isn't up to me. :)

5. Norm

Norm Cinematographer

Norm
    I already heard your side a million times, I want the same options other Languages get on their DVDs! And I bet Joe six pack would agree with me, and they have the buying power.

6. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

If you want to talk about "buying power", then you have to show that a studio would sell enough additional copies of a foreign-language film with a dubbed track to justify the cost of preparing the English dub. In most cases, that probably won't happen.

M.