"Forgotten" on PBS' Mystery - seriously disturbing <spoliers>

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Guy Martin, Jul 15, 2002.

1. Guy Martin

Guy Martin Second Unit

Has anyone else here been watching Forgotten on Mystery? The final episode aired tonight out here in LA, with a rerun scheduled for Saturday afternoon, I think.

This has to be one of the more discomforting things I've ever seen on PBS. I'm literally chilled here, just a few minutes after it ended! What amazes me is how creepy and disturbing it was given that there was little blood, gore or violence, just masterful acting and excellent directing and cinematography by TV standards (actually I think if they edited all three hours into a theatrical feature it would do quite well). Paul McGann was particularly excellent, his performance all the more amazing given the ending where (at least as I see it):
    He tells Amanda Burton where her daughter is buried, despite his earlier professions of innocence and the confession by the policeman to having planted evidence.
    It was astounding how well he pulled it off, just walking the balance between innocence and doubt. Of course I could have misinterpreted the ending. I suppose it is possible:
    That he still is innocent and he just told her some random location, where she went and laid followers. This is a (slight and unlikely imo) possibilitly since 1) we never hear what he tells her 2) she just lays the followers on the hillside, she never digs up the supposed grave, and there are no markings or indentations in the ground to suggest a buried body.

My only real complaint was that the identity of Kelly's killer seemed like a random, last-minute twist. Of course, that really isn't the point. To me it seemed that the real strength of the film is in dealing with how people in small communities deal with the possibility that someone they have known may in fact be a child murderer and how everyone's life is directly effected.

Has anyone seen the US DVD release of this series? How's the picture quality? Any extras?
    - Guy

2. Rex Bachmann

Rex Bachmann Screenwriter

Rex Bachmann
    Guy Martin wrote:

3. Guy Martin

Guy Martin Second Unit

Rex-

Good point about the killer. Does make sense when you look at it that way.

4. Rex Bachmann

Rex Bachmann
    Guy Martin wrote:
    Two false notes on this tale, however.
    (1) Since when do the police leave a current would-be suicide
    alone at the scene of the very suicide attempt right after the event? Is that standard police procedure in Britain?
    (2) How is it that a prison-break fugitive is allowed to move on with his life and not serve more time for his escape? (Maybe this one was addressed quickly in the dialog and I simply missed it there at the end.)

5. DeborahK

DeborahK Supporting Actor

And what about the jump ropes?

Since the one thing we do seem to know for certain is that different people committed the two murders, why was the m.o. so similar?

I think it was atmospheric as hell, but in the end I didn't think it held together all that well.

Deborah

6. Swami

Swami Agent

7. Rex Bachmann

Rex Bachmann
    Swami wrote:
    Turns out Ben/Paul is only a parole-jumper, not a prison-break fugitive. He's broken parole by faking his death after having been released from serving ten years for the original crime, which he may or may not---I think not---have committed.