Forgive the language in these samples. What kind of problem is this?!!!!

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Mary M S, May 3, 2004.

1. Mary M S

Mary M S Screenwriter

Any help greatly appreciated. Is this external to my system or internal? Just came off a major bout with virus’s, and have not seen this happen before.
    New Harddrive and OS installed. Nortons Liveupdate current, so are MS critical patches. Husband just called me in to show me this strangness when he went to surf two auto parts sites he was just visited last night. This is happening if we call up either Comp cams or Crane Cams (both search words he used last night)

When he typed in search tonight on Google, the top link on the page is the following.
    With an address ( left off for safety). Below the description the link has Comp Cam in the address -
    Ir4dex ownz yOu !!!! BraSil r0x !! FUCK THE EUA !!! I LoVe BraSil ...
    Ir4dex ownz yOu !!!! BraSil r0x !! FUCK THE EUA !!! I LoVe BraSil !! Contact: (deleted)@hehe.com
    (link deleted) 1k - May 2, 2004.

On right side of page are sponsered links

Sponsored Links
    Free Access to Thousands of Live
    Pesonal Webcams with Chat & Sex
    (address deleted)
    It's free to chat and watch women
    and men. Thousands of rooms
    (address deleted)

Then the normal link directions you would expect - below sites on left and sponsered links on right.

The first Left side site link, is also loaded highlighted (as if you have visited this link since last boot)
    He was at Comp and Crane cam sites last night and all links looked normal and these sites loaded normaly.
    He did not click on the above!
    Asking for Comp I get the above Brasil link loaded 1st site. When asking for Crane I just get the sponsered sex sites on the right side
    Whats going on????
    Could I have brought something with me from the bios? Is that possible? Nortons firewall/virus is not flagging anything.

2. Jim Williams

Jim Williams Second Unit

No problem on your side. I get the same results when I enter comp cams into Google also. I must say it is very strange.

3. Mary M S

Mary M S Screenwriter

..Thank you Jim..

I was sweating it (thinking "WHAT NOW!")
    I'll be dealing with fallout from last virus bout for weeks yet till I have time to tweak. My overnighted HP XP software for the old laser printer DOES NOT WANT TO fly.
    3 toubleshooting pages and 3 hours of tweaking to force the thing to work and it is still glitching. When I have time will have to come up with better workarounds than the force I have now.

I now go off to write 1 million times on the blackboard.

i will never let my virus updates expire again. i will never...
    Thanks again - very much! (I feel much better now) [​IMG]

4. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

For "comp cams", it could be a glitch on Google's side -- their are million/billions of pages indexed -- or it could be that the home page at www.compcams.com was hacked and they were unlucky enough to get it indexed at that time. In the latter case, it will probably go away whenever Google gets back to it, in a week or whenever.

The webcam/chat room sponsored links are probably normal for certain searches with the word "cam" in them; that's what they pay for.