What's new

Forgive possible repeat - TosLink vs. Digital coax (1 Viewer)

Mike Romo

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike Romo
Forgive me if this has already been discussed.

So, years ago, I went with an optical cable from bettercables.com and figured that this was the way to go. Just the other day, as I was buying my component video cables from them, I saw this on their website:

What is better OPTICAL or DIGITAL COAX?
Generally speaking, when you have the choice between toslink (optical) and digital coax, the digital coax sounds better. Both carry a digital signal, but the optical signal goes through 2 extra conversions (electrical->light and light->electrical). The optical connection has shown to have more jitter problems.

Do you guys agree with this? Why did "they" include optical in the first place? I would think the signal would be more clear...

thanks!
mike

matt-f

Second Unit
I personally prefer coax myself. I pretty much use it for all my connections unless there is a device that only has optical output only.

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
I use some Toslink and some coax - again, some devices only support one or the other.

My preference is from an economic standpoint: a decent 75ohm cable is much cheaper than the cheapest crap Toslink cable.

As for sound, well, in a well designed and built piece of hardware, there shouldn't be any difference. (Is that safe enough because of the qualifiers?)

Leo Kerr

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks