Forgive me please, but could you help me with my speakers?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian Sanger, Jan 21, 2002.

1. Brian Sanger

Brian Sanger Extra

Before last Christmas, my home theater experience consisted of a Triniton turned up real loud, so forgive my ignorance here...

Anyway, to make a long story short, I have a Yamaha RX-V620 receiver and Polks all around. My question concerns my two main Polk RT600i and the receiver.

As I said, this is my first real receiver and speaker set, so if I sound silly just flame me or help out. While the sound I get from these two speakers is impressive, should the volume have to reach at least -60 dbs before it comes close to sounding loud?

I mean, it seems like I have to turn the dial (or push the remote) forever before the sounds comes through at a high level. It just doesn't seem right to me. With my last receiver, a Sony with a volume labled 1-10 on the dial, I reached 2 or 3 and it was quite loud.

Any advice, suggestions, anything? Thanks.

2. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

Brian, you're not alone. I have the same experience with my Pioneer receiver. You should pick up a Radio Shack soundmeter and calibrate your speakers so they are balanced. This will also help in achieving the correct overall volume level when you play movies.

cheers,

--tom

3. Greg_W

Greg_W Stunt Coordinator

Brian, -60db on the reciever volume is not very high. As thomas said getting a SPL meter and calibrating your system is an excellent idea. I still have an older reciever with the 1-10 volume knob, and like you find 2.5-3 to be a good level for CDs (5 for DVDs). Using a Denon 3801 of my friends, I found that about -30db is a good level for CDs. The volume knob on the denon goes up to +10. These new volume knobs do need to be turned up farther than the older style.
    Short answer: I would let the sound be the guide, rather than the number on the volume display. If it's too quiet turn it up. If it sound compressed or distorted, turn it down.[​IMG]
    Greg

4. Jeffrey Noel

Jeffrey Noel Screenwriter

Brian, I too have an rxv620 and I usually have the volume around -30 for DVDs. I did have really inefficient speakers though, 86dBs. Sucks!

But I can say that it is just fine to have the receiver above -60. I think I read hear awhile ago that someone contacted Yamaha and they said the receiver would be fine until the teens. That's where the volume setting will mess something up, especially your ears!

5. Jon_R

Jon_R Stunt Coordinator

I think the answer may be in the electronics. I had a sony receiver as well, a slight turn and it was loud. Now I have a Denon and it requires far more turning.

Why?

The extra effort really pays off when you want that just right sound. At least for me, the Denon will sound exactly as loud as I want because the volume is such a gentle increase. YMMV on this, however I know of another Sony receiver that when you barely turn it on, it gets loud. It doesn't sound good as it is going through some Technics 12 inch floor standers, but it is loud. You can't get the desired volume.

Jon

6. Brian Sanger

Brian Sanger Extra

thanks guys, i appreciate the advice and commend you all for being able to understand what the hell i was asking [​IMG]
    also, any advice on which sound meter (sbl) to purchase. as you can tell, i'm new to this and not familiar with what they accomplish. thanks again

7. Bill Leber

Bill Leber Stunt Coordinator

Brian:

I'm not familiar with the Yamaha, but on my Onkyo you can set the volume at which it turns on so you don't have to start at -100, or whatever the default is. Check your manual.

As for SPL meters, the Radio Shack meter is standard equipment around these parts.