Forgive Me, My HTF Brothers, I Have Sinned

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael Martin, Jan 21, 2002.

1. Michael Martin

Michael Martin Screenwriter

My HTF brethern (and sisteren):

My head hangs low this morning. The sunshine simply does not seem as bright or crisp.

My guilty weighs on me like the chains on Marley's ghost.

This past weekend...I committed a most greivous offense against my finely honed filmic sensibilities:

I watched Soderberg's "Traffic" on VHS.

In Pan & Scan.

My only defense is that the movie was brought by a visiting relative, one who is unknowing and blatantly uncaring about OAR and the assault on the eyes that is Pan & Scan.

If it makes my guilt any less, the poor picture quality, the tinny sound and cropped image did make my eyes and intestines hurt. I knew it was wrong, and yet could not stop it!!

Is there some suitable penance I can make for this most heinous offense? It shall not happen again!

2. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Cinematographer

I am guilty as well, Michael. I was over my brother-in-law's house and he asked if I had seen 'Remember the Titans'. I had not, and he insisted I borrow his VHS copy to view. Upon leaving, I didn't mention it, but he remembered at the last second to go retrieve it for me. I struggled with the choices facing me, and ultimately bit the bullet and watched it (found it to be a mediocre film, by the way). The alternatives were to either insult a family member (not worth the aftermath, even under the guise of educating the less-picky), or lie about watching it (which could get real ugly).

Sometimes we have to make sacrifices in the spirit of maintaining good relations and avoiding unnecessarily bruised feelings.

Now you must go out today and purchase two OAR anamorphic DVDs and your soul will be cleansed.

Jon

3. Andrew W

Andrew W Supporting Actor

Neither of you are truly sorry, for you both enabled yourself to easily commit these sins. Now go forth and disconnect the VCR from your HT and cast it into the attic or closet or upon the side of the road and sin no more.

4. SteveA

SteveA Supporting Actor

"And Jehovah shalt strike down upon thee with great vengence - and removeth 40% of thy field of vision for the rest of thy days..."

5. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

Michael, don't feel too bad! I actually bought a VHS tape about three or four months ago. Hey, it least it was a widescreen edition! [​IMG]

6. Scott Strang

Scott Strang Screenwriter

This is an excellent chance to build some character. VHS sucks and watching it once in a while is perspective enhancing. It make us appreciate our DVD's and LD's.

7. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

40 LASHES WITH A WET NOODLE! [​IMG]
    I watch VHS all the time in school... they don't know any better

8. Jeffrey Noel

Jeffrey Noel Screenwriter

Boy am I relieved! Michael, just from the thread title, I thought you bought some Bose speakers! [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Now that I see you didn't, I'm not so disappointed. One Pan&Scan every few years won't hurt. Watching one just makes you appreciate widescreen that much more! [​IMG]

9. Josh_Hill

Josh_Hill Screenwriter

A hanging is in order! [​IMG]

10. Michael Martin

Michael Martin Screenwriter

Thanks to all for sympathy, encouraging thoughts and recommended penances.

I think I'll watch Moulin Rouge several times this week to get the YUCK of P&S out of my system. Maybe Ben-Hur?

11. Chad Isaacs

Chad Isaacs Supporting Actor

As Rod Parsley might say...

REPENT REPENTAH,YOU GOTTA TURN OR YOUR GONNA BURNAH,YOU GOTTA GET RIGHT OR YOUR GONNA GET LEFTAH

you know what you did was wrong,even before you did it..That makes it premeditated therefore you will have a stricter sentence...I say you must now replace all of your dvds with vhs,replace your dvd player with a vcr....2 head,mono and replace your tv with a very expensive front projector(to see every single flaw,of course) and live like this for one month...after this month,you may return to your dvds,however,the fp comes to me.Then you will truely learn your lesson.

Otherwise you will spend an eternity in the depths of vhs hell

12. Tony_Faville

Tony_Faville Supporting Actor

Ewwwwww..... VHS??

Pardon me while I go wash my fingers for having typed those three letters.

13. Sean Conklin

Sean Conklin Screenwriter

I consider VHS a separate entity and it is ok to watch a new movie on VHS IF a friend or relative brings it over.

Now DVD being the ultimate medium is a different story. It's OAR or nothing, PERIOD!!

I still watch my Back to the Future and Real Genius tapes quite often, as they are not out on DVD yet.

If it's VHS don't worry about it.

14. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

ugh.
    a friend of mine brought over his roommare's DVD of american pie 2, in full screen [​IMG]
    I feel so dirty.

15. Eric Kahn

Eric Kahn Guest

this forum has taught me too well, I look at the back of everything for the aspect ratio and only buy widescreen

I actually started to do this a few years ago on VHS tapes because letterbox never bothered me and I wanted to see the whole movie

16. Scott_G

Scott_G Second Unit

VHS and P&S.

The dark side you saw.

Let the ease free viewing control you, I see.

See the error of your ways you did.

Come back to us ...

Watch a Widescreen OAR, HDTV, Progressive scan, whatever frees you soul.

Remember how good that feels.

You won't stray again.

17. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

The sad thing is when I saw the subject I thought the same way as Jeffrey, and he's a Kansan, ick. :p) Man, I don't want to be associated with that.
    Its OK Michael, you've learned your lesson. If you do it again, we'll have to take action, but we can let it slide this time.
    Keith Mickunas
    A Missourian by birth
    a texan by job. [​IMG]

18. BryanW

BryanW Agent

That will take 20 Hail HTF's and a NEW DVD![​IMG]

19. Jeffrey Noel

Jeffrey Noel Screenwriter

Keith, I too am a Missourian by birth! :p)

20. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

Jeffrey, then what are you doing there now? I waited til I was 27 to leave the great state of Missouri. I'm proud to say I even went to CMSU. Please don't tell me you moved to Kansas to go to K-State. That would be sad. [​IMG]