1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

Forget the Empire - how is The Ruling Class?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dennis Nicholls, Oct 13, 2001.

1. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    There's a really important film being released to DVD this upcoming Tuesday, and I don't mean the one with Jar Jar in it.... [​IMG] It's the Peter O'Toole film The Ruling Class. I'm not sure how to characterize it as it changes from straight comedy to something else part way through. This film is perhaps O'Toole's second best performance in a movie, behind only Lawrence.
    As this is a Criterion disk I'm hoping for the best. Has anyone seen a review copy of this disk?
    ------------------
    Feline audience members Katie, Susie, and the one and only Fluffy Pumpkin

2. Deepak Shenoy

Deepak Shenoy Supporting Actor

Sorry to disappoint you, but 'The Ruling Class' has been delayed by 2 weeks. It is now coming out on 10/30.

3. Jon Robertson

Jon Robertson Screenwriter

I've been drooling over The Lady Eve, Haxan and The Ruling Class for some time now, and it looks like all three are going to be definitive editions.

4. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

Dennis, thanks for the reminder! I'd completely forgotten that TRC was coming out this month. I must be crazy... [​IMG]
    ------------------
    He thought on homeland, the big timber, the air thin and chill all the year long. Tulip poplars so big through the trunk they put you in mind of locomotives set on end. He thought of getting home and building him a cabin on Cold Mountain so high that not a soul but the nighthawks passing across the clouds in autumn could hear his sad cry. Of living a life so quiet he would not need ears. And if Ada would go with him, there might be the hope, so far off in the distance he did not even really see it, that in time his despair might be honed off to a point so fine and thin that it would be nearly the same as vanishing.
    -- Charles Frazier, Cold Mountain

5. Bill McCamy

Bill McCamy Second Unit

Where's my tutu, and a stool. I can't wait. The legbone is connected to the shinbone...

6. Dick

Dick Producer
    Supporter

Rick
    One of O'Tooles best four performances (the others: THE STUNT MAN; LAWRENCE OF ARABIA and MY FAVORITE YEAR)

7. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    Well my preorder has shipped and dOc has given this a big thumbs up. Any more comments? This ought to be good. I remember being so amazed at the plot twists when I saw this back during the original theatrical release in the early 1970's.
    ------------------
    Feline audience members Katie, Susie, and the one and only Fluffy Pumpkin

8. Martin Rendall

Martin Rendall Screenwriter

I didn't know this was coming out! Great news.
    "I am the electric messiah!"
    Martin.

9. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    The digitally obsessed review gives it a B+ for audio. Considering all previous video versions merited a D-, this seems encouraging! I may be able to get this title a day or two early, and will post my comments when I receive it.
    Regards,
    ------------------
    Ken McAlinden
    Livonia, MI USA

10. Coressel

Coressel Supporting Actor

Bill, you'll need a bit of rope to do it properly.
    I'm dying to see this cut of the film. I've only caught the one from cable tv over the years.
    Any reviews up yet?
    How does Jar Jar fit into all this? [​IMG]

11. Jon Robertson

12. Jeff Swindoll

Jeff Swindoll Supporting Actor

quote: One of O'Tooles best four performances (the others: THE STUNT MAN; LAWRENCE OF ARABIA and MY FAVORITE YEAR)[/quote]
    My Ruling Class is in the mail, cant wait!! Now all we need is a DVD release of My Favorite Year.
    Anybody gotten RC and listened to the O'Toole commentary??
    Cheers.
    ------------------
    I didnt play Dungeons and Dragons all those years and not learn something about courage.
    --Bernie Faulkner
    [Edited last by Jeff Swindoll on October 27, 2001 at 09:01 PM]

13. Steve_Ch

Steve_Ch Supporting Actor

>>One of O'Tooles best four performances (the others: THE STUNT MAN; LAWRENCE OF ARABIA and MY FAVORITE YEAR)

14. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    quote: Is "Stunt Man" on DVD ??[/quote]It comes out 20-Nov-2001 from Anchor Bay. They will be releasing the film, the documentary "The Sinister Saga of the Making of the Stunt Man", and a two-pack limited edition containing both. Only three weeks to go! [​IMG]
    Regards,
    [Edited last by Ken_McAlinden on October 29, 2001 at 09:40 AM]

15. Jeff Swindoll

Jeff Swindoll Supporting Actor

16. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    I finally had a chance to view the Ruling Class and was quite pleased with it. While the source flaw-riddled transfer is occasionally inconsistent and is not going to win any awards or be mistaken for reference quality, it is so far superior to any previous video version that I felt like I was seeing it for the first time even though I am well into double digit viewings of this one. The audio is also greatly improved, although dialog can be difficult to discern at times due to production choices. For example, there are a number of scenes where the voices echo in order to both suggest the cavernous size of the rooms in the gawdy Gurney estate and to suggest a theatrical performance. As always, there is still no high end and occasional static during louder passages.
    Another theatrical conceit of this film is the presence of many shots where several actors are all in frame performing together. The extra resolution afforded by this new anamorphic transfer helps one to catch the comic nuances of expression in these performances. The commentary by the three Peters is very interesting, and Peter Medak has cleaned his closet of lots of still pictures and 16mm home movie footage for our enjoyment. This is essential viewing for any fan of black comedy.
    Regards,
    ------------------
    Ken McAlinden
    Livonia, MI USA
    [Edited last by Ken_McAlinden on October 31, 2001 at 07:37 AM]

17. Jon Robertson

18. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    By the way, for anyone interested in the 10 minutes difference in running time compared to the longest previous US release, a lot of it consists of trims to scenes removing a line of dialog here and there throughout the film. It would be quite a chore to list them all.
    Regards,
    ------------------
    Ken McAlinden
    Livonia, MI USA

19. Jon Robertson