What's new

Forget the BMW M5 or the Subara WRX, anyone ever owned an AMC? (1 Viewer)

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
While driving home last night, I saw a mint condition AMC Hornet 2 door coupe. Reminded me of my dad's AMC Matador. Just in case you don't know what I am talking about, here's a pic....

So, anyone ever own or driven one? Gremlin? Pacer? Hornet? Javlin?

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
I'm not too familiar with the Matador, although I'm sure I've seen them on the street. To me AMC was all about the Eagle.

Part 4x4, part stationwagon, this car was actually ahead of its time considering that car makers are still making these kind of models. There was an Eagle in Back to the Future.

Devin U

Second Unit
I had the best of both worlds. I owed a Renalt Aliance, which was a rebadged AMC. Legendary AMC reliability with unmistakable French car clout. The electrics were so bad, I had to wire the stereo to the dome light. And just like I will be, it was worth more in death than in life. I bought it for $500, and when the head blew, I gave it to a charity and got a $800 tax credit.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
Oh yes, the AMC Eagle. Waaay ahead of its time....isn't the Chysler Pacifica just a rehash of the AMC Eagle? I remember back then (early 80s), Subaru and AMC were the only car companies making 4X4 cars.

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
Well besides Subaru, who always seemed to make those 4x4 stationwagons, there's Volvo, Porsche's new Cayenne, I think even Cadillac is getting into that niche. And yeah the Pacifica and Plymouth's PT Cruiser are about the same too! Funny thing is they don't use the term "stationwagon" any more despite the fact that they're all just glorified stationwagons.

GregClarke

Stunt Coordinator
Mmmmmmmm AMC....
Had a 69 Javelin SST with the 343 GoPak. Loved it, but parts were a nightmare. I'll look for a pic if interested.
Bought it from a friend who had found a 68 AMX 390 4 speed.

Greg

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
My mother got me a 1975 Gremlin for my high school graduation in 1985. she paid $200 for it and it lasted 2 weeks. It was red with a very stylish white "Starsky and Hutch" type stripe on the side. The car had a bad radiator and could barely make it to 55mph anymore.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
I always thought Al Bundy had a red Dodge Dart. It was brown in color only because of the dirt on it.

Who can forget the car chase in Thailand in the James Bond movie "The Man With The Golden Gun" involving the AMC Hornet coupe and the Matador Coupe?

Here's a pic of a 1970 AMC Javelin

and a 1968 AMX....

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
Had a 69 Javelin SST with the 343 GoPak.
Greg, that's the exact same car I had! Mine was orange with black (fake) hood scoops and a black vinyl roof. It was stil in great shape when I sold it in 1980.

Man, that was a fun car to drive. :)

Users who are viewing this thread