What's new

Forever Knight run times.... (1 Viewer)

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I read in another forum that the show Forever Knight had 3 different edits per episode. Their is a US 41 minute version, A Canadian 47 minute edit and finally a European version that contained nudity. Amazon had it listed as being the US edits. But, after watching an episode last night I can at least say they are the 47 minute Canadian edit. Does anyone know any more about this? This is the first I had heard of different edits. I was especially surprised to hear about the nudity.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
All of this is news to me. I got the set cheap via DVDEmpire's misprice, but frankly it is at the bottom of the viewing pile on a week that contains Indy, Galactica, Dragonslayer, Hulk, Dick Van Dyke, and Batman: MotBW.

Rick P

Supporting Actor
I read in another forum that the show Forever Knight had 3 different edits per episode. Their is a US 41 minute version, A Canadian 47 minute edit and finally a European version that contained nudity. Amazon had it listed as being the US edits. But, after watching an episode last night I can at least say they are the 47 minute Canadian edit. Does anyone know any more about this? This is the first I had heard of different edits. I was especially surprised to hear about the nudity.
You have two out of three correct....

Season 1 (92-93) when it was a joint US/Canadian production ran 47 Minutes on the Canadian broadcast version vs 41-43 minutes on CBS.
CBS of course cancelled it.

the series then 'went away' from Mar 93-Sept 94 whle the Candadian production company looked for more funding.

Season 2 (94-95) was a straight 'syndication' package and the eps were ~44:30 in both countries

Season 3 (95-96) was a dual syndication/USA network package and also ran ~44:30 in both countries also.

SciFi Channel cuts them all to around 41 minutes for commercials.

I have both original broadcast copies of all 3 seasons (partial) and recording from the recent years broadcasts on SPACE: The Imagination Station (Canada's SciFi channel that is a REAL SciFi channel) and they cut nothing, season 1's run 47 and 2&3 44-45. (the only exception that I've ever found is a strange 'trim' in the last 1st season episode "Love You to Death" which has the first 56 seconds trimed as broadcast on SPACE (the SPACE broadcast opens with the woman sitting on the park bench.. if you've seen the other version you'll know what was cut). Strangely enough, SCIFI channel does not cut that segment.

In several years of collecting I've not heard of a 'European' cut with nudity... there is the 'European' cut of Highlander, but that's a different show..

BTW... since I'm still awaiting mine.. can you check the beginning of 'Love You To Death'.. does it start with the park bench... or a candle being lit???

ADDENDUM: was going thru my notes.. there WAS a 50 minute version of the 1st 5 episodes that aired ONCE on Telemunchen in Germany, apparently they additions really added nothing to the eps (and you could really tell) and the additions were dropped after that.

ADDENDUM 2: still haven't gotten mine, however information has come to me that (not personally verified but the source is highly reliable), for some reason, on disc 1 'Dark Knight P1' *is* the CUT CBS version (CBS logo and all), all others are (so far as I've been able to learn) are the full length 47 minute Canadian versions) still haven't heard about "Love You to Death" yet... don't know if it's a screw-up, unable to locate the proper print (not likely since it's aired on SPACE in the last 3 weeks).

Rick P

Supporting Actor
Well, afer going thru the set (finally arrived), I'm apalled at WHY there was such a MAJOR SCREWUP on the Forever Knight set... we have 21 fully uncut episodes of 47-48 minutes each...

...and one of 41 minutes. .:thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

Of course which episode is cut??? THE FIRST ONE! :angry: Part 1 of 'Dark Knight' is the CBS 'CrimeTime after Primetime' version (right down to the CTaPT INTRO).

COME'ON PEOPLE... how could you screw up like this! I *KNOW* for a fact that the full un-cut episode exists! It aired 3 weeks ago on Canadian TV (waves DVD-R in the air).

DAVID! Paging David Lambert, you think you could ping your sources on this foulup and see WHAT they were thinking (or not thinking as the case may be)??? Remember you have ammo if they say the uncut episode 'wasn't available'... it absolutely is.

Tom M

Stunt Coordinator
Just because the uncut episode exists does not mean they could get the rights to it.

They may have been other difficulties invloved, too. Hopefully David Lambert or someone can provide us with the answer.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
David Lambert has no contact at Columbia who would discuss such matters with him. I can get info about release dates and so forth, but the people I speak to won't/can't discuss content, and are not able to refer me to people who can.

Gord sometimes has luck with these things, but he's out of town at the moment and can't be reached until Sunday. I'll leave him a note about this subject, but don't get your hopes up.

As Sanford & Son S2 has proven, once Columbia gets something out there with a particular cut, it's unlikely to be changed.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Well, it looks like I will never buy another Columbia TriStar TV disc again without hearing about it first.

Sherry H.

Grip
information has come to me that (not personally verified but the source is highly reliable), for some reason, on disc 1 'Dark Knight P1' *is* the CUT CBS version (CBS logo and all), all others are (so far as I've been able to learn) are the full length 47 minute Canadian versions)
This is true. I received my set yesterday and watched Dark Knight Pts. 1 & 2. I know of a couple of scenes that are missing from the DVD. I haven't had time to watch all the disks yet, but I've been told by others who have that the rest are indeed the uncut Canadian version.

I'm hoping that C/T will make more effort to include some extras on a second season release (e.g. the blooper reel) particularly at the ridiculous retail price the studio set for a bare bones release.

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
I'll look into the issue. When the "what extras should DVD sets contain" was asked on my panel I said, "It's not an extra, but sets should contain uncut, original episodes on them."

Gord

Rick P

Supporting Actor
Gord.. thanks.. keep us posted...

as I said, the excuse of 'the episode dosen't exist' doesn't wash... aired on SPACE: The Imagination Station recently.. and I would find it very hard to believe that the couldn't 'get the rights' to part 1 of a 2 part story.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
I got this one on a misprice, but unless we get a lot more extras or the price gets cut, I won't get anymore.

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
Sorry guys, I haven't had a chance to look into it yet. I'm sick today, which means I have the whole day to call studios :)

I'll post if I get any news.

Gord

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
Well, I spoke to someone at CTS and he said the version on the set was all they had the rights for.

It's also interesting to note that CTS doesn't have rights to release the set in Canada. Seems funny that a Canadian like myself would have to import the set for a show set and shot in Canada.

Gord

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Maybe whoever does own the rights in Canada will eventually release a separate edition and then all us Yanks can import it. (It does appear that there is a Canadia release of the original Rick Springfield pilot, and I'm not sure if there is a corresponding American release.)

Regards,

Joe

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks