What's new

Foreign language TV series thread (1 Viewer)

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
The Bridge, released next Monday (21st May) is also being released on Blu-ray from Arrow Films. Also being released in the next couple of months (source: Amazon UK):

Braquo: The Complete Season Two - Monday 18th June (DVD and Blu-ray)
Braquo: The Complete Season One and Two boxset - Monday 18th June (DVD and Blu-ray)
Sebastian Bergman: Series 1 - Monday 25th June (DVD and Blu-ray)
Spiral: Series Four - Monday 5th November (DVD)
Spiral: Series One-Four boxset - Monday 5th November (DVD).

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
The Swedish series Sebastian Bergman, starring the first actor to play the original Swedish Wallander (Rolf Lassgard), starts on BBC Four next Saturday, with the first part of a two-part story. Both parts were passed by the BBFC this past week, for their DVD/Blu-ray release by Arrow Films next month.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Front cover artwork for Arrow Films' Blu-ray release of Sebastian Bergman: The Cursed One: Parts One & Two (source: Play.com):

0531c8db_31808768_500x500_1.jpeg

Gyrovague

Auditioning
Real Name
Margot King
Does anyone know what's coming up next on British TV? I've loved all the ones that have aired so far and try to keep track of recent European programs but the Brits are the best at creating very good subtitles. :confused:

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Sebastian Bergman finished on BBC Four last Saturday night (the second part of "The Cursed One"). From this Saturday they're repeating the second series of Spiral. Nothing new at the moment.

The third (and final) series of Forbrydelsen (aka The Killing III) I don't think has aired in Denmark yet, so I'm guessing it will air in the UK in either late autumn or early next year.

Was hoping the follow up to the Icelandic comedy drama series The Night Shift, called The Day Shift, would be shown on BBC Four. Doesn't appear to be happening now. But all three series (the third is called The Prison Shift) and the feature film have been released in Iceland on DVD.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Thought this was a repeat, but this past Saturday night BBC Four aired a new Wallander from the Rolf Lassgard era of the original Swedish Wallander series, a two-part story from 2001 called "Sidetracked". This Saturday night a new story starts, a four-part story from 2002 called "The Fifth Woman".

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
A week this Saturday on BBC Four (25th August), a new series of Inspector Montalbano starts (the second series). A second volume of the first series is being released (by Acorn Media) on DVD in the UK on Monday 3rd September (source: Amazon UK and HMV.com).

The BBFC added a listing to their website today for the series Lilyhammer (a listing about extras/bonus features in the set), which is being released by Universal Playback.

Still no word yet on which channel in the UK will be showing Lilyhammer and Varg Veum.

Gyrovague

Auditioning
Real Name
Margot King
This thread is a splendid idea! I'm devoted to foreign movies which are about the only things I tend to watch now. I'll add a couple of comments later when I've got a bit more time.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Margot, just out of curiousity, have you only recently discovered foreign language detective series, or have you watched and posted (on other forums) about these detective series for a while?

moviepas

Supporting Actor
Foreign-language cop shows and others are a staple of Australian TV on both our National network and 30-off year old SBS Special Broadcasting Service, now part of the National ABC network. At one time foreign soundtracks were banned in commercial TV bit not on the ABC which showed them occasionally in the old days with local subtitles. Today SBS has a world-renowned team of translator/subtitle staff.

Many shows end up of local DVDs, often before they appear elsewhere, even in their home country. Those SBS subtitles are carroed over to the DVDs issued.

I cite favorites like Inspector Rex, Inspector Montalbano, Danish & Norwegian cop shows and so on. At about 10 series and different guys playing the dog's handler over the life of the series. Some cast stayed the same thru'out. The show was made in Vienna and many interesting outdoor scenes in that city(one I have been in, however briefly and even went to an old moviehouse there for a local film) of note.

I have many early German TV series in the cop line and some adventure shows in b&w or color something that they started putting on DVD in the last 2-3 years. Trouble is the do not provide English subtitles for these. They also have some US cowboy series not yet available in USA or elsewhere. Whilst one major series, color, has German or English audio options)one disc in series has a problem accessing the English track as the discs default to German first) one series(b&w) only has a German dubbed soundtrack which makes no sense to anyone. Afterall they would have had to have had the English track to start with.

I do have many German feature films but the same language problem remains with lack of appropriate subtitles for the English speaker. There are many series of films based of book characters, even those wellknown in the English speaking world like Sherlock Holmes, Father Brown and the Edgar Wallace Mysteries. The "Krimi" type film was popular in Germany over the decades it seems. There are German Westerns and I have a color series of films actually made in the former Yugoslavia. Lex Barker was in at least one of them. These are generally known as Karl May films, an author who was the Zane Grey or Max Brand of Europe.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Based on the UK release date for Arrow Films' DVD and Blu-ray release of Forbrydelsen III (aka The Killing III), and when the second series of Inspector Montalbano should end on BBC Four, Forbrydelsen III should start on BBC Four around mid-November (if like before, airing in double bills).

The first two series of the Danish series Forbrydelsen (aka The Killing) have previously been released on DVD in the UK by Arrow Films, but will be re-released on DVD and Blu-ray, as part of a boxset with the third series (the third series will also be released separately on DVD and Blu-ray) on Monday 17th December (source: Amazon UK).

Gyrovague

Auditioning
Real Name
Margot King

Gyrovague

Auditioning
Real Name
Margot King
Gyrovague said:
I've been watching them for quite a while. See especially the MHz website (http://shop.mhznetworks.org/home.php?cat=249) and italian-mysteries.com (http://italian-mysteries.com/DVD-Crime-Series.html).
I forgot to mention my most favourite of all: the TV mini-series based directly on the Sjöwall & Wahlöö Beck novels and starring Gösta Ekman -- only the last one called Stockholm Marathon is different from the original The Terrorists. Note that the later ones with Peter Haber are only based on the original characters which are available from MHz Networks.As far as I know, the ones with Ekman aren't available on DVD. I managed to locate unsubtitled DVDs and fiddled around long enough to produce English subtitles on my own. I do wish someone would issue them with proper subtitles!

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Haven't heard of those TV mini-series you mentioned in your latter post Margot (post #33).

Hoping that the Harry Hole novels by Jo Nesbo will be turned into either a TV mini-series or a film (and maybe a series of films).

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Front cover artwork for Acorn Media UK's DVD release of Inspector Montalbano: Collection Two (source: Amazon UK):

383c66fa_91rTN1lclTL._AA1500_.jpeg

Inspector Montalbano: Collection Two (the second part of the first series of Inspector Montalbano) is being released next Monday (3rd September, with a boxset comprising both volumes being released on Monday 8th October (source: Amazon UK). Front cover 3D artwork for the first series boxset is below (source: Play.com):

6682d68e_32711732_500x500_2.jpeg

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
The comedy drama series Lilyhammer starts on BBC Four next Tuesday (11th September) at 10 pm - 10.45 pm. A trailer for this new series has been shown a few times recently on the BBC. Looks quite good based on the trailer.

Sumnernor

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sumner Northcutt
The german police series "Derrick" is about halfway with DVD releases with the Derrick series. There were on TV german subtitles on the german station ZDFin the later part of the series but no mention on the DVDs. The series has been released on TV in many countries (but I don't think is the US.) Was the series on Australia and Canadian TV?

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
The second series of Italian drama series Romanzo Criminale starts in the UK on Sky Arts 1 next Tuesday with a double bill.

No sign yet of the fourth series of Spiral (aka Engrenages) on BBC Four. If the Region 2 (UK) release in November is still happening, then it could be being shown on another night of the week, as when the second series of Inspector Montalbano finishes, the third (and final) series of Forbrydelsen should start a week later.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
The series Lilyhammer is being released on DVD in the UK by Universal/Universal Playback on Monday 26th December (source: Amazon UK).

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
The third (and final) series of Forbrydelsen premieres in the UK on BBC Four a week this Saturday (17th November), being shown in double bills.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks