What's new

Foreign Films that don't have a Domestic Distributor yet (1 Viewer)

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
are there any foreign films (regardless of where you live) that you'd like to see that are planned to be distributed in your country, but haven't found a distributor yet?
i only know of one, and it's one that i REALLY want to see and can't understand why it hasn't found a distributor yet. it's called "To End All Wars." you can find out more about it here and at the official site.
maybe it's because of the "war movie fatigue" that no major studio wants to pick this up.

Gabe Oppenheim

Stunt Coordinator
I'm sure that you could get some yeas for "Battle Royale."

Oh, and the original "Ring."

And about fifty zillion movies that aren't horror flix from Japan.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
Korea's My Sassy Girl. It's a better romantic comedy than anything out of Hollywood in the last 10 years.
Jeff

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
THE NAMELESS
UZUMAKI (aka SPIRAL)
THE EYE
KAIRO
RING (aka RINGU)
BATTLE ROYALE
MY LITTLE EYE
Just to name a few....

Paul W

Second Unit
How about Withnail & I?
I saw this while in England. Pretty charming. Richard Grant makes a good sissy boy actor.
:D

Doug D

Stunt Coordinator
PLATFORM, ABC AFRICA.

You do know that WITHNAIL & I is ancient + out on Criterion video, right?

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Code Unknown one of best films of the last few years.
I don't know if Songs From The 2nd Floor ever got distribution, but I know it never played in Atlanta.
All of Kiyoshi Kurosawa's films Cure, Pulse, Charisma

Doug D

Stunt Coordinator
Both CODE UNKNOWN and CURE had distributors (Cowboy Pictures for the latter; I forget the former, maybe Kino) and played Portland.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
i'll be damned, the "to end all wars" official site was updated today with domestic distribution info starting with little rock on november 1st and coming soon to indianapolis. yay!

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member
Lee Jeong-hyang's Jibeuro (The Way Home) until recently did not have a U.S. distributor. I just found out the Paramount classics has now obtained the U.S. distribution rights. Hopefully, this one will get a stateside release soon.
~Edwin

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
Lee Jeong-hyang's Jibeuro (The Way Home) until recently did not have a U.S. distributor. I just found out the Paramount classics has now obtained the U.S. distribution rights. Hopefully, this one will get a stateside release soon.
I wouldn't count on a DVD from them though. They still haven't released the critically acclaimed Girl On The Bridge. I wish Paramount would be keep their hands off foreign films until they can find them worthy enough to actually release on DVD.
Jeff

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
are there any foreign films (regardless of where you live) that you'd like to see that are planned to be distributed in your country, but haven't found a distributor yet?
I find your question rather funny as more than 95% of foreign films never get distributed in this country. The list of ones that I'd like to see that don't have a distributor is pretty much endless, so I won't bore you with it. In just the last day I was thinking of three such films: Irreversible (Gasper Noe, France), Sex is Comedy (Catherine Breillat , France) and Super 8 Stories (Emir Kusturica, ??)
Most of the films mentioned so far in this thread actually DO have distribution in the US, just bad distribution, which is a whole different problem... (Songs From The 2nd Floor, Withnail and I etc.)
Ted

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
I find your question rather funny as more than 95% of foreign films never get distributed in this country.
i find your comment rather funny because i only inquired about the ones that are PLANNED to be distributed sooner or later. :)

Jean-Michel

Supporting Actor
the foreign distributor looks for domestic distributors that have interest in distributing their film(s).
That's just about every foreign film ever made, since I can't imagine very many foreign distributors/rights holders that wouldn't want to see their movie(s) distributed in the U.S.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
every foreign film isn't good, and the foreign distributors should know which battles to pick by now.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks