What's new

foreign dvd question... metal fans help! (1 Viewer)

Leif Wall

Second Unit
I was going through DVD Profiler today and I noticed a title that caught my eye. Haggard - "Awakening the Centuries" Haggard is doom metal like band from Germany I believe. I searched every regualar site for the dvd, but alas there was nothing. I found it on the German site for Amazon though. Then I checked their other music titles and almost shit my pajamas. I know death/black/doom metal is big over there, but seeing all the different dvd releases got me very excited.

I'd really like to order a bunch of them, but I'm concerned about compatability issues. ie - PAL, non-region 1 (though dvd profiler listed the Haggard dvd as multi-region)

What should I do? I can't read German, or any other foreign language for that matter, so it's tough to tell the specs of the different discs.

Greg_D_R

Stunt Coordinator
Leif, if it's a German release, or any European country for that matter, you can count on it being PAL.

Serega_M

Agent
Hi, Leif :)
As I am a big fan of such music (dark/doom/gothic etc.) I can help you a little with some advices :) First of all - there are several BIG DVD publishers of such music right now in Europe. The first one and the biggest so far is - Nuclear Blast label with such releases like famous "Death... Is Just The Beginning", "Beauty in Darkness" compilations, and DVDs of such bands as Hypocrisy, Crematory, Stratovarius and some others. The second one is BMG/Drakkar Edition - which has published Haggard DVD and some others as well. Also some DVDs have Spinefarm Rec. from Finland, Hall Of Sermon (Lacrimosa - LIVE) and some other smaller labels. So - all of these DVDs are Region 2 (most) or Region 0 (some) PAL. As I live in Europe, I have no problems with that - but you need to have good PAL->NTSC converter and multi-regional player to be able to see them :) As about where to order them - heh - the best way is to come to Wave Gotik Treffen this May and buy them all there personally ;) But if you would like to order them online - there are some places where it is quite easy. The first one - is the online shop of Nuclear Blast - just go to www.nuclearblast.de and click on the "shop" button. Also - you can check out these shops - Link Removed and http://www.infrarot.de
That's it - hope my info helps - and if anything - feel free to ask me :)

Leif Wall

Second Unit
Serega: Nice to see someone into the scene on here. :)
I've gotten most of the region 1 dvds of similiar type bands that I could find. Emperor: Emperial Live Ceremony (I really wish it would of been in 5.1 instead of DD Mono. Trym is one of my favorite drummers, too bad they broke up.)
Cannibal Corpse: Live Cannabilism, an okay release. There's a couple others, but not coming to mind right now.
Not sure if I'll go through the hassle to watch the foreign dvds, though it would be nice. Thems the brakes when you listen to music that isn't mainstream over here.

Serega_M

Agent
Hehe, Leif, we are everywhere... ;)
And actually - as I understand such music is not so big in America, sadly. So - I am in great doubt that you'll have most of these disks released domestically there. So - seems that the only chances for you to see them is - to get multi-regional player with converter, or, what will be MUCH easier and cheaper - just get multi-regional DVD-ROM to your computer and see these disks in your PC. Think about that ;) The only release which as I've heard will be (or already is) published there is - Nightwish LIVE DVD which is available in Europe around a year already :) But nothing more, as far as I know. So - think about DVD-ROM at least... ;)

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
I dont really have much to add to this discussion other than Im shocked to see some fans of Haggard over here. I have both their albums and they're amazing. Haggard is even more epic than Therion, and keeps their death metal roots in tact. I've been disappointed with the direction Therion has gone in. Their best albums in my opinion were Lepaca Kliffoth and Theli, mainly because those two albums still had some of their metal roots in them, Haggard is like a perfect blend of both styles of music.

And about that Nightwish DVD, I was on a crusade to get a couple of them from Nuclear Blast Germany, but no luck.

Leif Wall

Second Unit
I did some searching around and found what looks like to a cheap and easy solution. The Malata dvd player plays all regions and has a pal-ntsc converter. Lot's of people here speak very highly of it as well. (and it's progressive scan) I definitely think I'll be going that route since I need a new player anyways.
Now all I really want is Tristania to release a dvd. (if they already haven't)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks