What's new

Foreign Currency in the US? (1 Viewer)

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Where's the usual places to buy foreign currency (particularly Sterling) in small quantities, in the US? I tried our credit union - no go.

Can't find any reference to such a service on the mainstream banks' sites.

I need it within a week!

If it was in the UK, I could wander into pretty much any bank or High Street travel agency...

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
We don’t have as many convenient places as most countries—it is possible that a bank will have some currencies on hand, but I’d call ahead. My experiences of very many years ago convinced me to buy currency when I arrived at my destination (or in the international section of the airport when I was departing).

Unless you want to buy a major currency, it is possible that you will have difficulty outside the specific country to which you are traveling—or the region of the world to where you are going.

As a note of caution, some currencies are very hard to convert back into USD or any hard currency. In these cases it is best to exchange back into U.S. dollars when departing these countries. You can be in for a major headache in trying to get a reasonable exchange rate in the States (for these ‘soft’ currencies).

And a lot of this is also dependent on where you are (in the States) when you leave. It is easier to exchange South American currencies in Miami than Seattle (where it is easier to exchange Asian money).

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Oops, sorry Brian—I just realized I was teaching your grandmother how to suck eggs. Sorry.

Just take it that we are an insular country. If you really need money ahead of time, all a major bank and arrange before you go. Most of them can handle your needs, but don’t do so on a routine basis.

Also do not be surprised if you could get a better rate at Cooke’s, back home.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
No problem, Lew. Just wanted a little "emergency" cash for spending in airports etc when I get there, because as you say, it'll be easier to just transfer proper amounts at my local bank or Thomas Cooke's once I get there.

Ho hum.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
Brian
I have nearly 5 pounds Sterling laying around.
Email if you are interested
Grant

david stark

Second Unit
I haven't actually changed money for years now. I just use my bank card in a machine abroad to get small amounts of local currency and slap everything else on my credit card.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks