What's new

Foreign Correspondent Blu-Ray? (1 Viewer)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Ray H said:
While they can probably throw their Hitchcock titles onto discs and release it in a box set, I imagine it makes more sense to them both from a quality and a financial perspective to release them individually.
Exactly, selling one movie at a $40 MSRP is alot easier to get consumers to swallow over a 5 movie set that has a $200 MSRP. Even if people waited for a 50% off sale on Criterion titles, you'd see people complaining about having to pay $100 for 5 movies. At the same time, they'll have no problem paying that same price individually over a few years.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I don't want an 'event' - I just want the movies.And the problem with them waiting is expiration of rights (besides the fact that we are all getting older with less time to enjoy these films). Every year they wait bring them closer to not being able to release them at all.And while I can imagine Foreign Correspondent getting a release anyway, I don't really see a non-Criterion release of Young And Innocent or Sabotage on Blu-RayDavid

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I like it as is..every few months Criterion gives us a Hitchcock title, although Ive been waiting impatiently for Foreign Correspondent since I first heard they got it. I just love that film ...they usually only release a few titles a year that I am interested in, mostly classic USA or genre titles with the occasional foreign film...I have Anatomy of a Murder, M, Godzilla, Chronos, The Blob, The Rules of the Game, On the Waterfront, The Third Man, Diabolique to name a few :)

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
Also take into account the time factor for designing packages and getting essays commissioned. Criterion doesn't half-ass these things. I'd rather have the releases as we get them now, not in a giant expensive set.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
They have a lot on their plate, and they deliver 4-8 films a month on Blu-ray with high standards. I may not be the target audience for all of their releases, but they have legitimate reasons their scheduling.

mikeyhitchfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Some of us would pay a premium price now for a box set of titles. Then they could release these individually over however long they want. At least then the hard core fans will be happy, and Criterion will have my money now and other's later.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
I want City Lights of all the Chaplin films the most, but the next one that will be released is The Kid. I want a BD upgrade of Picnic at Hanging Rock, the remainder of the Antoine Doinel series, Henry V and Hamlet, Oliver Twist and Great Expectations. Hell, my upgrade wish list is a mile long - Bicycle Thieves, Fires on the Plain, The Naked Prey, All That Heaven Allows, Good Morning...

I want them to do a seminal version of Spartacus on BD. I'm hopeful that their planned release of the Hulot films arrives sooner rather than later, especially since I've been wanting that release of Jour de fete that they confirmed - in 2008. I'm hopeful that the long-rumored acquisitions of Red River and The Miracle of Morgan's Creek prove to be true.

I want Foreign Correspondent, but there's also about 50 titles I want from Criterion before the other Hitchcock films. Tastes vary, and I'll get some I want sooner than the ones you want, and vice versa.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
For those of us not able to gain FC via amazon HD rental (Australia has been ruled out of bounds), can anyone tell me how the new Criterion HD transfer stacks up against the DVD? I think the DVD was from Warner.

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
VERY disappointed Foreign Correspondent didn't make the cut for a January 2014 Criterion release. Admittedly, I am not a huge fan of Criterion's usual niche releases (just my taste, which runs toward classic pre-1970 American/British films; no interest in most foreign films) but I do love the treatment they give their releases. I just hate that an inarguable classic like Foreign Correspondent sits on Criterion's shelf. Why hold the license for years and just sit on it?

mikeyhitchfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Yes, I agree. I was waiting patiently since the last Hitchcock release was Jan 2013 only to see nothing is coming..again. Not to mention teasing Lynch's Eraserhead and others for some time. I enjoy some foreign films and occasionally buy them but nothing Criterion has coming lately has been exciting to me. Glad for those who like Mad, Mad World..I'm not one of them.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I too am waiting for Foreign Correspondent from Criterion. 2012 (thru Jan'13) was a wonderful period to be a Hitchcock fan.I'm also hoping they do Young And Innocent.I know some are also waiting for Sabotage, but not a must for me.

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
mikeyhitchfan said:
Yes, I agree. I was waiting patiently since the last Hitchcock release was Jan 2013 only to see nothing is coming..again. Not to mention teasing Lynch's Eraserhead and others for some time. I enjoy some foreign films and occasionally buy them but nothing Criterion has coming lately has been exciting to me. Glad for those who like Mad, Mad World..I'm not one of them.
I've bought one a month from the Collection over the past few months (To Be or Not To Be, I Married a Witch, The Uninvited) which surpasses my usual quota from them (usually one a quarter, at most). I am one of those who likes IAMMMMW, so I've already pre-ordered it, but I understand those to whom it doesn't appeal.

Although It probably involves my own personal conceit, it seems from a business standpoint that a Hitchcock title like Foreign Correspondent would outsell some of the more obscure titles that Criterion releases so I'd think they would want to get it out sooner rather than later.

Hitchcock fans have been blessed since 2012 with Rebecca, Notorious, Spellbound, The Lady Vanishes, The 39 Steps, The Masterpiece Collection, Dial M for Murder, Strangers on a Train, To Catch a Thief and the original The Man Who Knew Too Much but that was after 3 years of with only North By Northwest and Psycho being released. It seems we either have feast or famine.

I also wish we'd get a Region A release of Lifeboat (available in Region B from Masters of Cinema). That, along with Foreign Correspondent, would almost complete my Hitchcock wish list (with Suspicion and The Paradine Case rounding it out).

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
Criterion generally has done one a year with these major filmmakers with limited titles - such as Chaplin and Hitchcock.

I would be very surprised if we don't see Foreign Correspondent announced within the next few months, and likely for Feburary.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
atfree said:
VERY disappointed Foreign Correspondent didn't make the cut for a January 2014 Criterion release. Admittedly, I am not a huge fan of Criterion's usual niche releases (just my taste, which runs toward classic pre-1970 American/British films; no interest in most foreign films) but I do love the treatment they give their releases. I just hate that an inarguable classic like Foreign Correspondent sits on Criterion's shelf. Why hold the license for years and just sit on it?
They have a few hundred titles under license that they haven't got around to releasing on Blu-ray or DVD. Unless they were to release them all the same week they have to "sit on" titles by necessity.

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
Moe Dickstein said:
Criterion generally has done one a year with these major filmmakers with limited titles - such as Chaplin and Hitchcock.

I would be very surprised if we don't see Foreign Correspondent announced within the next few months, and likely for Feburary.
From your lips to God's (or Criterion's) ears! :)

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
Just in case they are trolling HTF, to spur Criterion into releasing this title on Blu within the next 90 days, I will forthwith:

1- Post to all topics at HTF in BOLD, ITALICIZED, CAPS
2- Hold my breath
3- Tap my fingers on the table incessantly
4- Thrash around on the floor
5- Put :( and :angry: on all my posts
6- Threaten to tell my mother
7- Tell my mother
8- Offer to buy 2 copies to help subsidize the restoration costs

There, that's the ticket, that should do it. Fully expecting the pre-order link to go up within a few days!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks