What's new

Ford v. Ferrari (2019) (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Yeah, I'm thinking of seeing this again and doing my 130 round trip journey to the nearest Dolby Cinema theater.:)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Having seen “Ford v Ferrari” I’ve notice I have been wanting to live in that 4000-6000rpm life.

steve jaros

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
I wasn't really criticizing the lack of depth - I did enjoy the movie.

I was a little surprised because I thought this would be more of an Oscar-bait project than it is. Ya never know with the Academy, but it doesn't feel like something that'll get noms in the non-technical areas...

I'm not so sure. The "Best Picture" category seems to have opened up to lighter, more commercial fare in recent years. E.g., Black Panther, A Star Is Born, and Bohemian Rhapsody were all nominated for BP last year. IMO, Ford/Ferrari is as good as those films.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I'm not so sure. The "Best Picture" category seems to have opened up to lighter, more commercial fare in recent years. E.g., Black Panther, A Star Is Born, and Bohemian Rhapsody were all nominated for BP last year. IMO, Ford/Ferrari is as good as those films.

Yeah, you're right - last year they rewarded more hits than usual.

I still thought it was less "serious" than expected! :)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Yeah, I'm thinking of seeing this again and doing my 130 round trip journey to the nearest Dolby Cinema theater.:)
I watched it again on Wednesday in a Dolby Cinema theater. A great decision on my part as the enhanced theater experience made this film even more enjoyable for me.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I was taken aback by the fact that in a period piece such as this, there was not a single cigarette or cigar. Not realistic at all. I really enjoyed the movie, but people smoked a lot in 1966.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
I was taken aback by the fact that in a period piece such as this, there was not a single cigarette or cigar. Not realistic at all. I really enjoyed the movie, but people smoked a lot in 1966.

I think there was a ton of smoking in the boardroom presentation scene, non?

JoeStemme

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph
The battle between Ford and Ferrari has not gone down as one of the previous century's most important or serious, but, it does provide a nice backdrop for this entertaining drama.
FORD V FERRARI focuses on Carroll Shelby (Matt Damon) a one-time Le Mans champion race car driver (1959) who was forced into retirement. He helps design new vehicles including hot-headed journeyman driver Ken Miles (Christian Bale). When the Ford motor company contacts Shelby in 1964 with the idea of helping them design a car that can beat the vaunted Ferrari line of winners at Le Mans and it's charismatic owner Enzo Ferrari (Remo Girone). Shelby enlists Miles and his band of mechanics and friends to take on the task.

Of course, working for the huge Ford corporation means also dealing with corporate interference. Lee Iacocca (Jon Bernthal) is portrayed as the benign intermediary between Shelby and The Man -- Henry Ford II (Tracy Letts). VP Leo Beebe (Josh Lucas) is the 'heavy' -- the kiss ass in the company who only looks out for himself. The company politics angle could have been interesting, but Ford and, especially, Beebe are cartoonish villains. Letts and Lucas do the best they can, but, just come off as buffoons more appropriate for a sit-com than the big screen.
Fortunately, when the action sticks to the racetrack, the movie mostly hums. Francois Audouy's Production Design is sharp and captured well by Phedon Papamichael's cinematography (although, like with NEBRASKA one wishes he'd tone down the digital 'grain'). It's a well-done physical and aural (David Giammarco's sound design is aces) production all around. The large cast acquits itself well. Damon is very effective as the driven but level-headed Shelby. Bale gets the showier role and relishes it. Caitriona Balfe brings some perk to the stock role of Miles' patient wife.

James Mangold Directs with a sure hand. His insistence on accuracy (for the most part) and actual vehicles and locations rather than a surfeit of CGI gives the movie some grit and verve that helps make up for the 'sports film' cliches which hamper the screenplay (three writers). Mangold is a pretty strong writer himself (LOGAN, COP LAND), so it's unfortunate he apparently didn't have much input there. The epilogue is surprisingly melancholy and lifts the movie from the standard -- Rah! Rah! straight to the credits finale -- most sports films settle for. The maturity only highlights how lite much of the rest of the movie is. FORD V FERRARI is the kind of A List big budgeted drama that is rarely seen any more. It's enjoyable, but, a mediocre script keeps it from finishing higher.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I saw indications of smoking in the movie, sure, they didn't place a lot emphasize on it, but, it was there.

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
I saw it last night with my 14 yo son. I may be a little biased because I am a Ford guy, and a Shellby car guy but I thought it was fantastic. It did not feel as long as its 2.31 running time.

The GT40 to me has to be one of the most beautiful cars ever made. And if I was a man of means, I would buy one of the newer versions.

The racing scenes were great as well and even though at some point I knew the whole story, by the time I watched this movie I had forgotten much of it which was nice.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
One of the best films I have seen this year but not a lot of folks at the theater. Was very impressed with the sound which was loud at times but I had no issue with it.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I saw this today and I think it is my favorite film of the year. I was glued to the edge of my seat the entire film.

Extremely packed screening, I had to sit in the 2nd row because most other seats were taken.

YANG

Screenwriter
This was a great film and it has a fantastic Dolby Atmos mix.
in an Atmos cinema, yes, the ceiling speakers does gives an extra boost to recreate the enveloping atmosphere of the circuit. so as flying debris of the flipped race vehicles, as well as Shelby's flyby over the Mustang launch event. however, in a home setup, except for the last 2 effects mentioned, a DDEX/DTSES is sufficient to deliver that enveloping race circuit audience arena environment effect, as well as ear level drive bys/cut in of other race cars.

in contrast, Stallone/Renny Harlin DRIVEN hv better ceiling effects if get a remaster of Atmos. unfortunately... Driven is as old as Days of Thunder...

GlennF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn Frost
Saw the film in Imax. Enjoyed it very much. So nice to see a big budget film that does not involve superheroes or a remake of an animated film. Good acting, well made, great racing sequences.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
in an Atmos cinema, yes, the ceiling speakers does gives an extra boost to recreate the enveloping atmosphere of the circuit. so as flying debris of the flipped race vehicles, as well as Shelby's flyby over the Mustang launch event. however, in a home setup, except for the last 2 effects mentioned, a DDEX/DTSES is sufficient to deliver that enveloping race circuit audience arena environment effect, as well as ear level drive bys/cut in of other race cars.

in contrast, Stallone/Renny Harlin DRIVEN hv better ceiling effects if get a remaster of Atmos. unfortunately... Driven is as old as Days of Thunder...
As well as an inferior movie too.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Saw the film in Imax. Enjoyed it very much. So nice to see a big budget film that does not involve superheroes or a remake of an animated film. Good acting, well made, great racing sequences.
The movie didn't do well overseas, but did alright here in the States. A definite 4K disc purchase for me.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Another MVP performance from Christian Bale. Seriously, without his personality the film might be closer to the film Le Mans, which despite Steve McQueen's passion was an exercise in complete banality (with him mostly to blame). This film, in contrast, is easily one of the best race car films ever, if you're in to that sort of thing. I wish I was able to see it on the big screen to appreciate the racing sequences from a complete visceral level. But I did appreciate everything else about this film, from the dialogue, to the period settings, to the story arc which, fortunately, I did not know going in. And kudos to Matt Damon for taking on the much less showy, but essential counterpoint of Shelby.

On a side note, did anyone else see the actor playing Ken Miles' son, Noah Jupe, in his other appearance this year as a young Shia LaBeouf in the film Honey Boy? What an amazing performance. Plus, I've never been a fan of LaBeouf but, after seeing this autobiographical film where he plays his own crazy father, I can easily forgive all his weird sins. That's quite a crazy bowl to crawl out of.

Finally, if you ARE into cars, here's a shot of three Bizzarrini, built by Ferrari's main designer and released in 1967, before his company shortly went out of business after only a few were produced. My brother-in-law owns two of them and has been offered anywhere from $2-6 million for one. So, yes, there are some crazy ass car enthusiasts out there. And, personally, after seeing this car win the Pebble Beach auto show for Italian cars, I did see the attraction.

Bizzarinis.jpeg

Mark McSherry

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark McSherry
Most are probably aware that Netflix is streaming the two hour documentary Shelby American (2019). Lots of actual footage of the cars, men, and races.

wtuhami

Second Unit
Real Name
Wes
I was a little disappointed with this. It wasn't a bad film...but it did not live up to the hype.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks