What's new

Ford Focus? (1 Viewer)

Jason Kirkpatri

Second Unit

Again, too bad that you don't have the hatch version. 16" TRDs with 205s mated to a 1.5" drop improves the handling profoundly, and these are factory options. I opted for the base model as that is all I'm looking for but it's not fair to discount available options (for any vehicle).

As far as cheap is concerned, of course it's cheap! We are not talking about anything but cheap (see poster's original post - Edit: if you consider the Focus a cheap car - all relative to your income I guess). Aside from the cheap factor, my family has a 2000 four door sedan, 2004 two door hatch, and a 2005 two door hatch - no reliability problems thus far. As far as ugly is concerned, all in the eye of the beholder.

So I'm an Echo fanboy, but that's okay. Consider that the 2005 yields 108HP on a 2822b car. That matched with a manual makes for some fun city driving.

However, the car is not great on the highway. I do like the looks of the ZX3, but I am wary of the issues with it (whether they have been addressed or not still leads me to worry).

I do know that you shouldn't consider the Chevy "new" line, Aveo. It's been available for a number of years down in South America with poor consumer feedback.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
that last pic looks like something out of gran turismo 3 :) about the mini cooper, i didnt think much of them at first, but now i think they are one of the best looking cars on the road. not really in the price range of the focus, but it would be tough for me to choose between a cooper S and the VW gti vr6. or i could spend a few grand more and get the VW R32. i'm used to 115 HP in a car that size (2000 Jetta), i can only imagine 240 HP. :emoji_thumbsup:

CJ

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
Since 2001 or 2002 the reliability of the Focus has been much higher. I drive a 2002 ZX5 and have had abolutely no problems besides a short in the airbag warning light and a sticky volume knob.

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter

Well, except for folks driving Honda Civic Si coupes (1998-2000 models) and Honda Civic Si hatchbacks (2002-2005 models) powered by the VTEC and i-VTEC engines. ;)

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer

AHH! yes, the Echo hatch is definitely better looking than the god-awful sedan versions which are the only ones we get in the US.

The Hatch was actually done by a Dutch designer and was the intended look for the Echo all along-not bad at all.

When Toyota decided to sell them in the US their infinite wisdom told them a Hatch wouldn't sell here so they had some Japanese committee work up the abortion of a sedan we get here.

We get maybe one or two Echos a year now. Scion XB and XA are based on the same platform and drivetrain, but with better suspension tuning for a much better handling car.

With a 6-8k budget you're not going to get a new anything. Best bet would be a used Civic or Corolla. Better a newer used econo-car with a good reliability record than an older higher mileage performance or prestige car at any given price point unless you have extra money laying around for repairs.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
awwww YEAHHHH (best viewed in IE w/ speakers)

Sorry couldn'y resist :b I really like the look of the Focus. I'd go for it over the non-hatch echo.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
I really like the Focus and the SVT is quite the car(if a bit underpowered)... It was on Car and Drivers 10 best for a while(4-5 yrs or so in a row IIRC).

However if I were to buy a small car new right now, I'd be all over a Mazda 3.
Ditto. I'm not a fan of their ride. Love the look even if it questions my sexuality :) However I like the look. The John Cooper Works Edition has some zoom zoom in it.

Hugh Jackes

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Hugh Jackes
I rented a Focus on vacation in Hawaii, and it was a real dog. Underpowered, jerky, and loud.

I bought my wife a Hyundai Elantra (what can I say, we were in a poor patch), almost two years ago and she adores it. I have offred to replace it now that the finances are a little better, but she refuses to part with it.

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
Hugh, the ones purchased for rentals are "dogs." They are 2.0 SOHC 110hp speed-demons. Bottom of the barrel stuff really.

The new-wave of Foci are quite different but are a bit more cash. As to the VTEC comment, pfffffffff. I smoke them daily.

If we really want to start a pissing contest:

Bolt-In V8 Ford Focus

Appears Ford is having some fun with 'em heh?

:)

They're for real, we've done one here.

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member

:emoji_thumbsup: Scary!!

I personally never liked the Focus. At first I thought it was the ugliest car on the road. That was before the I saw the Honda Element :D

Now they aren't so bad. And although I used to make fun of the Focuses for wheels falling off, catching on fire, etc ...(early recalls), they indeed seem to have worked out the scary problems.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member

You haven't seen the scion Xa have you?
wait, or is it Xb? I can't remember, anyway it makes the element look almost graceful.

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor

It's the xB that has a boxy shape similar to the Honda Element.

I think the redesigned European model (pic) looks slightly better in the rear than the one for N. America. I would never buy one, but I'm not opposed to the idea of using one as a weekend rental. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks