Forcing you to buy Extended Warrantee Legal?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave Scarpa, Dec 12, 2001.

1. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    I noticed my local Media Play is touting having the XBOX in stock. The catch they will only sell it in a $340 package including a 2 yr warrantee. I'm not going to debate the worth of a warrantee, but is this package price legal?

PS: I did here the counter girls talking about the money they were making off the Protection Policies.

2. Paul Richardson

Paul Richardson Second Unit

Yes, it's legal. Why wouldn't it be? Consider it like a bundle, although instead of adding games and controllers, their adding an extended warranty.

3. BrianB

BrianB Producer

4. Jared_B

Jared_B Supporting Actor

It may be legal, but it's a bunch of BS in my opinion. Maybe after demand goes down after the holidays, we'll see packages and bundles go away. At least their not just jacking the price up and not including anything. One store I went to required that you buy three games AND sign up for their yearly membership. I did not buy from them.

5. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

From what I understand, MS was offering BIG incentives for selling bundles. Personally, I don't mind, since there were enough quality games to make getting 2 pretty easy. Also, everyone's going to have to buy software anyway, so what's wrong with packing it all together.

Don't think I would have bought with the Ext. Warranty though-Future Shop wasn't even pushing it that hard.

6. Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark Cinematographer

MS hay have encouraged bundles, but they gain nothing from the bundling of extended warrenties. They make money off of games and accessories which is what is normally bundled.

7. Bergan Peters

Bergan Peters Stunt Coordinator

Bundling isn't legal in all states. Call your attorney general.

8. Ryan Peter

Ryan Peter Screenwriter

MS would actually lose money with a warranty bundle since it would nullify their warranty they sell in the box.

CNet did a good article on CompUSA only selling warranties with the XBox, but I can't seem to find it anymore.

9. Brian Shannon

Brian Shannon Stunt Coordinator

I am not sure they can force you to buy a warranty. If something is "bundled" from the manufacturer that is one thing. A warranty is an add on by the retailer.