Forced to Get a Reciever Without Research..HELP!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Kevin_Cas, Jun 8, 2004.

1. Kevin_Cas

Kevin_Cas Agent

Today I needed to take back my Kenwood VR-6060 to Best Buy due to an audio hiss and static problem. I had the Performance Service plan, and was fully expecting the store to send off my unit for repairs. This much was confirmed by the technician at the store. However, as soon as he went to the computer to start the process, he came back and told me he had "good news" for me. For some reason, my particular unit(the first he had seen this happen) was not eligible for repair, so I was able to get the price I paid for the Kenwood in Sept 2002($359.99) towards the "purchase" of a new receiver.

When I was putting together my home theater a couple of years ago, I visited this forum religiously, and got tons of great help and was armed with information to make my purchases. Today I was not so lucky. I had no time to look up reviews, etc. and had to pick my new receiver RIGHT THEN. I had not been here in awhile, so I had no idea what was good and what to avoid. I vaguely remember something about Yamaha Receivers being decent, so I decided to get a HTR-5760 "naked"(I know nothing about it). THe price was 499.99, meaning I had to pay a $152 difference. Did I make a good choice? Keep in mind I was limited to what they had in stock(Sony, Yamaha, KLH, and a Pioneer that was cheaper than my original Kenwood) and their prices(I'm sure all of their receivers could be found online for MUCH less). Did I make a good choice? I have JBL NSPII speakers. I am keeping this thing in the box until I hear from you guys.

Thanks for any and all replies.

2. Sami Kallio

Sami Kallio Screenwriter

3. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

Kevin
    Actually there has been some talk of that receiver. I think you will enjoy it. I would think it would be better than the kenwood.
    Let us know what you think once you get it hooked up...funny thing is that is the one I would have recommended or the Pioneer 814/914....

4. MuneebM

MuneebM Supporting Actor

Kevin, you absolutely did not make a mistake. The Yamaha HTR-5760 is a fine receiver with awesome value. However, I'd highly recommend you step up one model if possible to the Yamaha HTR-5790. For the record, I own a Yamaha RX-V2400 and absolutely love it, the HTR-5790 is equivalent to the RX-V1400.

http://66.46.69.23/sigserv/pl/index.pl?p=4
    My DVD Collection

5. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

There has been *SOME* talk of it? There's a thread with over 100 posts to it currently about that receiver, so it has been more than thoroughly discussed. 7000+ views too. Not too shabby.

In the end though, it's your satisfaction with the integration of that receiver into your system that will decide whether it was a good idea or not.

6. Michael__M

Michael__M Stunt Coordinator

If you don't like it, take it back. I think your purchase is still covered by the 30 day return policy.