Forced subtitles in Pirates of the Caribbean

Discussion in 'DVD' started by David M., Jan 17, 2004.

1. David M.

David M. Agent

I'm just curious if anyone else has been forced the third subtitle track during playback of the movie. It's track number 3. I use a JVC XV-S500BK DVD player. All it seems to do is display a player generated subtitle of the movie's title in French. On my pc, Interactual's subtitle listing says the third track is French (forced) but doesn't switch on. My version of the movie is the Canadian version.

Also, was there supposed to be a chapter listing insert packaged with the disc? All I got was buy 3 get 1 free dvd offer and a Lion King sweepstakes offer.

Thanks for any help.

2. Jon Mercer

Jon Mercer Second Unit

I had the same problem with my JVC player showing the French subtitles for the first 5 min but nothing after that. Now I figure it must be a JVC problem.
    Also mine has more than just a mere insert - it has a 5 or six page little booklet with disc descriptions and chapter listings, and yes it is the Canadian version.

3. Ray H

Ray H Producer

Ray
    Yep. Same thing here. JVC too. With the French subs, I don't find them much of a problem since I can switch 'em off.

There's a pretty subtantial insert with disc maps, etc.

4. Steve_Ch

Steve_Ch Supporting Actor

Have subtitle problem on my Cyberhome CH500, simply cannot turn them of, I can have either English or French, if I turn subtitle off, they come back on after may be a minute. Nothing I do can fix it.

5. Larry Talbot

Larry Talbot Second Unit

I haven't watched it yet, but I just discovered the exact same problem with Fargo. Oddly enough, it also involves French subtitles. The disc defaults to them every time on my Panasonic CP72. Do you think it is a player problem? I'm wondering if it isn't somehow a disc problem.

6. Ray H

Ray H Producer

Ray
    On mine, when I Play the film, it automatically starts with subtitles that only translates titles and signs like the opening title (Pirates Des Caraibes: La Melediction de La Perle Noire) and the "Pirates Ye Be Warned" sign later. Strangely my player says it's on subtitle track "-/3". I can then switch subtitles on and in order to switch the French titles off, I have to give it a go around (flipping through all the subs) and go back to the "-/3" track and the French will not be there anymore even for the title, etc.

7. David M.

David M. Agent

I'm leaning more towards a disc problem. The disc might have some kind of trigger to bring up the subtitles in select scenes like the Star Wars movies do but the Star Wars ones are intentional. It could also mean some players are just more sensitive to subtitle triggers. Has anyone exchanged their disc, just to see if it was just one bad disc, or a problem that is in all the discs?

8. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I have the same 400BK DVD player and the title displays in french but I don't think anything else does after the title.

9. Ray H

Ray H Producer

Ray
    It seems to be pretty common. I've also read about this on another board. The problem that I experience is pretty minor IMHO. I do think it may be a player thing though since it doesn't happen with my older players.

10. John Gido

John Gido Second Unit

I have the same problem with my 3 year old JVC XV-S45GD. French sub-titles right from the beginning. I can, however, turn them off. It is annoying to have to do it everytime I watch the DVD.

11. Ben Harpold

Ben Harpold Agent

I do not have the problem on my JVC XV-D701.

12. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

Same problem with my JVC 500, but I am able to turn them off.