What's new

Forced pop-up menus at end credits on recent Sony titles (1 Viewer)

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Here is what happens at the end of "Bloodshot" on both the 4K and regular Blu-Rays:

It automatically disappears after about 10 seconds as shown here- if you click "Extras" then all of the extras play in sequence- though I honestly don't think anyone who would skip the end credits would largely care about them. They also play if you let the movie run to the very end. The main menu is already accessible at any time using the Top Menu button.

The pop-up menu here is different than the standard one that appears when you hit the Menu button- that one also lets you go to the main menu or extras but also lets you select languages and scenes. I've played around a bit and this menu is set to ALWAYS appear at that point- putting the player on A-B repeat brings it up again for example.

As someone who has ALWAYS (for more than 37 years) let movies at home play COMPLETE to the end, and stayed til the very end in theaters longer than that, this is just unacceptable. I'm sure some here will say it's "no big deal" but this makes it impossible to show the complete movie with zero intrusions. I've always thought the regular pop-up menus were cool because they show off what the format can do, but they ONLY appear when the user hits the Menu button and aren't seen otherwise. I don't even know what good these pop-ups will do anyone else. Streaming services doing similar things is a big reason why I still prefer discs, but ironically redeeming the digital copy of Bloodshot will allow for an experience free from any annoyances. If Sony is trying to discourage people from buying disc media, I would say they are doing a good job here.

Other titles that I have heard do this include Mask of Zorro, Bad Boys For Life, Fantasy Island and the Resident Evil 4K set. Regardless of how minor an annoyance this may be, it is unacceptable and I will not be buying any more Sony Pictures titles as long as it continues. I'm glad that many of their older titles are being licensed to other labels which likely won't be doing this.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
This ^ looks word for word identical to Alan Smithee's post on another message board.

;)

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
It is- not everyone reads every forum so I thought it should be called out on each of them. When I joined this forum, people were required to use their real names, which made things more civil.

Robbie^Blackmon

Second Unit
It is- not everyone reads every forum so I thought it should be called out on each of them. When I joined this forum, people were required to use their real names, which made things more civil.

Ah, the frustration I had signing up a forum account.. I had to go through 15+ iterations of my own name before it satisfied the Gorts' ultra-stringent "use-your-real-name" policy at the time. I actually had to PROVE that my name was my own, incorporate capitalization (one attempt got rejected b/c I didn't capitalize!) and come up with that separator thing because it had to be all one string of characters and no other spacer met approval. Further, each "attempt" that failed forced me to wait days in between, while powers that were made an executive decision.

Now, it's like anything goes, and you can be JBinkLass, CamMooMoo64evr, ChungyDarshum, T'achPah/T'achPeh or whatever.

Back on topic-- Anything distracting onscreen during the film or content proper should be a no-no. Disc or streaming. I personally can't stand the streaming thing where you get to the credits and the next show, film or ad pops up on a transparent menu and just "starts", and when you try to get out of that, you get another transparent menu that takes forever to respond. The posted example looks like physical media masquerading as a streaming experience. Not a good trend.

I also like to be able to turn off player-generated text, too, like "||> PAUSE" that stays up on a still frame. It bugs me because it reminds me of the frustration of trying to dub a VHS tape, when the slightest picture noise caused a blue screen, then the channel and time have to pop up, then the picture comes back with that stupid "HI-FI" flashing text that took forever to go away.

Damn, being old and cranky sucks!

Last edited:

Paul Penna

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul
I also like to be able to turn off player-generated text, too, like "||> PAUSE" that stays up on a still frame. It bugs me because it reminds me of the frustration of trying to dub a VHS tape, when the slightest picture noise caused a blue screen, then the channel and time have to pop up, then the picture comes back with that stupid "HI-FI" flashing text that took forever to go away.

Not only that, such screen overlays in both disc and streaming - even YouTube - linger for several seconds after the user has made the choice. I've never understood what purpose that could possibly serve, other than further irritating the viewer. Is this something taught in techie school, because it happens everywhere.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
(From an historical perspective).

Back in the day when I first read that the core bluray spec incorprated a java virtual machine, I suspected this would eventually lead to garbage popping up on the screen.

In contrast, the dvd-video virtual machine wasn't elaborate enough to have popup windows.

Robbie^Blackmon

Second Unit
Not only that, such screen overlays in both disc and streaming - even YouTube - linger for several seconds after the user has made the choice. I've never understood what purpose that could possibly serve, other than further irritating the viewer. Is this something taught in techie school, because it happens everywhere.

An equally frustrating phenomenon of streaming and disc media-- multi-layered pop-up controls that appear and disappear too quickly, preventing you from making a selection! Hesitate just too long and you have to start the whole process over again-- make the controls slide up, point to the menu item, click or scroll, stop to read just a little bit of the text.. Gone again!

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
(From an historical perspective).
Back in the day when I first read that the core bluray spec incorprated a java virtual machine, I suspected this would eventually lead to garbage popping up on the screen.
In contrast, the dvd-video virtual machine wasn't elaborate enough to have popup windows.

Funny thing is, I actually LIKE some of the "garbage popping up on the screen" like movie trivia and what-not, but that can be turned on or off at will. It's neat that the format can do that, but not when it takes control away from the user. Again, I really don't know what purpose this forced menu serves. If I wanted to stop watching the movie from that point but wanted to see what extras were on the disc, I'd just hit the Menu button.

DVDs can have forced subtitle (which are really graphics) displays- Passport Video used this to put their logo onscreen like the annoying network bugs on TV (which I haven't watched for 22 years as a result.) They stay on even if the Subtitles are set to Off. Thankfully there are a number of ways of getting around that, some of which we aren't allowed to talk about here but the easiest is using a player that has a "subtitle shift" control- that moves it down and off the screen. I haven't found any way of getting around these menus on the Sony discs though.

I'm adamant about having ZERO intrusions while viewing anything at home though- I've never owned a VCR with an onscreen display (and yes I still use them), and I made sure my receiver allowed me to turn off the onscreen Volume display so I could adjust that without anything appearing onscreen. All of my other equipment is also set to show minimal onscreen displays or none at all whenever possible. Call it OCD, but it shouldn't be so difficult to get the same from streaming and now discs.

Anyways, I've sent printed letters about this to all the top people at Sony Pictures. Bottom line is that if they continue to do this, I simply won't buy their products anymore- and with disc sales declining, they shouldn't want to lose a customer unless they actually want to phase them out completely.

"Not only that, such screen overlays in both disc and streaming - even YouTube - linger for several seconds after the user has made the choice."

YouTube actually has one of the least intrustive interfaces- I upload a lot of videos there and would not do so if they did anything to intrude on them. Some videos have annoying pop-up graphics at the end, but those are put there by the uploader. I've never put any on mine, and have never seen any appear when checking them.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
DVDs can have forced subtitle (which are really graphics) displays- Passport Video used this to put their logo onscreen like the annoying network bugs on TV (which I haven't watched for 22 years as a result.) They stay on even if the Subtitles are set to Off. Thankfully there are a number of ways of getting around that, some of which we aren't allowed to talk about here but the easiest is using a player that has a "subtitle shift" control- that moves it down and off the screen.

We're allowed to talk about these things on here releated to ripping for personal use, but not piracy / bootleg.

There are several threads where this is freely talked about on here.

r_dominicus

Auditioning
Real Name
Rick Dominicus
That's odd. I've watched the first two Resident Evil UHDs from the set and haven't seen any pop ups. They do autoplay the extras when the movies end, though. I wonder if it's player-dependent?

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Some have said the menus do not appear on their equipment, but I don't know what they're using. I'm using an Oppo UDP-203 and have not been able to have the menu NOT appear at the specified point. I almost feel like my player was violated having to do that ;)

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Back on topic-- Anything distracting onscreen during the film or content proper should be a no-no. Disc or streaming. I personally can't stand the streaming thing where you get to the credits and the next show, film or ad pops up on a transparent menu and just "starts", and when you try to get out of that, you get another transparent menu that takes forever to respond. The posted example looks like physical media masquerading as a streaming experience. Not a good trend.

Very true-- Netflix is known to make it next to impossible to read the credits of any film or series unless you know exactly how to get out of their forced pop-up menus, IIRC.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
It’s disgraceful what Netflix has become; I only have access to it because my parents subscribe, I didn’t watch it for a while but recently found you can have the end credits play complete and uninterrupted with a Chromecast, or on a Roku if you use the phone app to start the movie. The only annoyance there that remains is the “Skip Intro” prompt which is unnecessary especially if you’re using your phone as the controller.

Back on topic, has anyone been keeping track of discs that are doing this? I heard that Sony’s recent 4K and Blu-rays of “Don’t Breathe 2” have it. It’s now been more than a year since I’ve bought any of their discs and I will continue to avoid them. Ironically watching their movies through most services, at least rentals, will give you a less intrusive experience than discs.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
A little off topic (but only a little!): On my Leawo Blu-ray software, I find with a lot of my Blu-rays that the Disc menu list for the Blu-ray that I'm playing will pop up before the end of whatever title I'm viewing, which is rather annoying, especially when I want to do screen captures for end logos. The only workaround is to pull up the right side Title Menu, and pick a Title number (IE. Title 01), and click on it to play. This can be a bit annoying, especially when the title numbers are sequenced way out of order for stuff like TV series or other multi title discs. However, it does eliminate the premature menu popup bugaboo!

These two screenshots below illustrate the difference between accessing the Blu-ray Discs menu and the title numbers on the Leawo Blu-ray Software.

When Accessed On The Blu-ray's Menu:
screenshot038.jpg

When Accessed By Selecting Title Number:
screenshot042.jpg

Do the Oppo players allow for accessing titles in a similar fashion, bypassing the Disc Menu? If so, could that perhaps be a workaround to avoid the annoying premature Menu/Extras popups on those Sony Discs?

CHEERS! :)

Last edited:

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
No, my Oppo players cannot play the one Sony disc I have that does this without the menu appearing as indicated. It uses Java, which basically hijacks the player and makes it use its own way of operating- you cannot use the title select function on these discs either. The common complaint about them (and a way to know if a disc uses Java or not) is that the player won't resume the movie right where it was stopped, discs without Java can do that, though some will at least give you a menu asking if you want to continue or not. There is a program on my PC which I forget the name of that WILL let you access any title on a disc directly and does not even show pop-up menus, but of course that only works on my PC and it won't play 4K discs at least with the equipment I have.

There needs to be a master list of discs with these forced menus so they can be avoided. I want to buy Ghostbusters Afterlife but will only do so after it's been verified that it does NOT do this; if it does then I will just acquire the movie through other means, maybe just wait until it's on a subscription service.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
No, my Oppo players cannot play the one Sony disc I have that does this without the menu appearing as indicated. It uses Java, which basically hijacks the player and makes it use its own way of operating- you cannot use the title select function on these discs either. The common complaint about them (and a way to know if a disc uses Java or not) is that the player won't resume the movie right where it was stopped, discs without Java can do that, though some will at least give you a menu asking if you want to continue or not. There is a program on my PC which I forget the name of that WILL let you access any title on a disc directly and does not even show pop-up menus, but of course that only works on my PC and it won't play 4K discs at least with the equipment I have.

There needs to be a master list of discs with these forced menus so they can be avoided. I want to buy Ghostbusters Afterlife but will only do so after it's been verified that it does NOT do this; if it does then I will just acquire the movie through other means, maybe just wait until it's on a subscription service.
I find Java really annoying, in general. Maybe some other 4K devices can/will bypass the Java hijacking on such discs? This would annoy the hell out of me!

CHEERS! :)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

We still require at least a real first name which either can be your username or under the REAL NAME field.

Still trying to keep things more civil here and everyone on a first-name basis. Thank You.

Indy Guy

Premium
Real Name
Tony Baxter
When Disney released their first Blu ray pressing of the animated Alice in Wonderland, the beautiful musical end credits are scarred by an intrusive pop up for pointless gaming extras designed for little kids who don't read menus or look at credits. At the time there was a public outcry about this intrusive interruption.
Does anyone know if Disney removed from subsequent Blu ray releases of Alice?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks