What's new

Force of Evil, Johnny Guitar, Pursued from Paramount? (1 Viewer)

TimJS

Second Unit
I don't know how seriously to take this site, but eFilmcritic is reporting the following titles from Paramount on July 25th:

Ask the Dust (Paramount)
Bound (Paramount)
Double Life, A (Paramount)
Force of Evil (Paramount)
Hype! (Paramount)
Johnny Guitar (Paramount)
Ladybugs (Paramount)
Pursued (Paramount)

With Thanks to the Criterion Forum,
Tim

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
Sure, some of these like Force of Evil, Johnny Guitar, and Pursued are titles acquired through Paramount's purchase of the Republic library. This looks like a very nice second wave coming on the heels of the titles announced about a month ago.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I just wish the first wave of Paramount Republic titles would show up at etailers; only Deepdiscountdvd seem to have 'em so far, and that's a little troubling.

Other than that put me down for Force of Evil (providing Paramount improve on the Artisan transfer), A Double Life, Johnny Guitar and most definitely Pursued.

ted:r

Second Unit
The big one for me here is obviously "Johnny Guitar" since "Pursued", "A Double Life" and "Force Of Evil" are already sitting on my shelves.

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey Nelson
I haven't seen it, but is there anything wrong with the current DVD of FORCE OF EVIL? I have the old Republic laserdisc, which is pretty good, actually.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
It's actually not that bad, not perfect, but pretty crisp and clean; my point was that should the Paramount version be superior (and it's possible), I'll take it (again).

Second Unit

I couldn't agree more. Paramount is sitting on oh so many classic films that have yet to see the light of the DVD-day. Let them make a dent in those before they tread down the re-issue route.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
To a point; Paramount holds the original or best elements for many titles that Artisan transferred to DVD not from the the negative, or the best restored elements thereof - anyone here rather not see Paramount have another crack at The Quiet Man for instance?

Herb Kane

Screenwriter

Yup. In that particular case absolutely. But I'd prefer to see them release some of their crown jewels as well;

The African Queen (1951)
Appointment With Danger (1951)
The Big Carnival aka... Ace in The Hole (1951)
The Conformist (1971)
Dark City (1950)
The File of Thelma Jordan (1950)
The Friends of Eddie Coyle (1973)
Hell's Island (1955)
Reds (1981)
Turning Point, The (1952)
Union Station (1950)

Charles H

Screenwriter
Scorcese did introductions for A DOUBLE LIFE, FORCE OF EVIL, and PURSUED in their VHS incarnations. He also did an intro for JOHNNY GUITAR, which has not been brought out on dvd previously.
I am surprised that Amazon is not listing the first Paramount wave of their Artisan acquisitions: THE DARK MIRROR, SECRET BEYOND THE DOOR, LETTER FROM AN UNKNOWN WOMAN. And some of the Republic Wayne films e.g., WAR OF THE WILDCATS). "Tentative" marketing scares me.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Unfortunately, it appears that some of these titles won't be coming out on May 16th. DDD has changed the release date on a couple of those titles while one title is missing in action.

Crawdaddy

Second Unit
I couldn't agree more with Herb's list, especially since three are on my top ten most wanted, and the rest are just below, especially "The Conformist" and "Union Station".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks