Force of Evil French DVD

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Jon Hertzberg, Jul 11, 2003.

1. Jon Hertzberg

Jon Hertzberg Screenwriter

Jonathan
    Can anyone comment on the quality of the recent French release of the noir classic Force of Evil? I think the releasing label was Wildside. What is their track record, and do they have any other notable releases? From the parts of a French review (which I found on DVD Basen) that I could understand, it seems to be a good disc. I would very much like to hear more feedback, though.

Thanks,

Jon

2. Jon Hertzberg

Jonathan
  3. Hendrik

Hendrik Supporting Actor

...well... here's a French review of the disc - the latter appears to be pretty damn good for such an old movie (but note that the English-language version has "hard" - i.e. non-removable - French subtitles)...

. . . [​IMG] . . .

4. Andrew_K

Andrew_K Stunt Coordinator

Beacuse the movie has both French and English audio I don't think that subtitles are really "hard" i.e. burnt-in. They are most probably only forced when played with English audio and that can be easily defeated by using a proper DVD player or software such as DVD Region Free.

5. Werner Heimmer

Wildside have a very good history.

The English language DVDs I've bought from them do have locked French subtitles but these can be removed on many DVD players easily (on my Toshiba for one).

6. Jon Hertzberg

Jonathan

I have just ordered a Philips 727. Does anyone know if this player would have trouble removing the subtitles? What is the difficulty in removing the subtitles if they are 'locked' and/or 'hard'?

Thanks,
    Jon