Forbidden Planet - SE

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael Gage, Feb 11, 2002.

1. Michael Gage

Michael Gage Auditioning

Last year I heard rumor that a Forbidden Planet-SE was planned for 2002. Because of that, I put off buying the bare-bones version at $24.99. It is now selling for $14.99...and I have not heard a thing about the SE version. Has anyone heard if the Special Edition is actually in the works or at least planned for this year? If not I will most likely pick up the current version.

2. John Sparks

John Sparks Screenwriter

John Sparks
    Let's hope that they put all the fantastic stuff that was on the Criterion laser...and more! [​IMG]
    2 years ago I saw a newly sruck MGM print of "Forbidden Planet" in Cinemascope and you could see the paint strokes on the railing in the krell lab. When I got home, I put on the DVD and it looked it was filmed in b&w! [​IMG]
    So let's keep our fingers crossed that MGM or whom ever owns the film does a Special Edition! [​IMG]

3. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

John:

You make me want to kick myself for not seeing that showing, and I would love to see a new transfer based on such a print!

4. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

I'd love to see an SE of Forbidden Planet as well. Dare I say with a Leslie Nielson commentary? [​IMG]

5. paul o'donnell

paul o'donnell Second Unit

Gimme an SE or prepare to reap the destruction of the monsters from my id [​IMG]

6. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

I'd love it. To be honest I was elated when the disc first appeared just to have it in 16x9. It's really not all that bad by early DVD standards (it's not the SB 5th Element either). Most of the problems are with the film print and no the transfer...although today's MPEG encoders could afford some more resolution in the final result.

But a new transfer would be AWSOME...and SE extras too...

7. Derek M Germano

Derek M Germano Second Unit

Put me down for a SE of FORBIDDEN PLANET. Would love to see the film get a new transfer from better film elements. Also, the incredible electronic score (and entire soundtrack) should get a remix into 5.1.

8. John Koehler

John Koehler Stunt Coordinator

The Criterion CAV LD had a full-bodied stereo mix. The DVD is flat, I swear. I hooked up some VU meters to my amp to see if there was any individual channel response, and got none.

Listen to the scene where Morbius demonstrates the shutters, closing and opening from left to right, right to left across the screen. On the LaserDisc, the sound travels with the image. On the DVD, the shutters just thud without any directional dimension.

Can ANYone hear stereo on this DVD?

9. Steve_Ch

Steve_Ch Supporting Actor

As I recall, the LD was "marvelous", I don't have (and have not seen) the DVD, but would definitely go for a high quality copy, Nielsen commentary a plus [​IMG] .

10. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

I've got the 65th anniversary LD...I think by MGM (not the criterion). I'd love for the new DVD to have the great sound of the stereo PCM tracks of the Criterion disc you describe.

BTW, I not only own the LP soundtrack to this film...but it's out on CD as well...if it's still in print. There's a great picture of Robby the robot on the cover.

I'd recommend that you all get the CD if you can find it. It's fun to have!

-dave

11. JulianK

JulianK Supporting Actor

I've seen the MGM DVD, and didn't consider it an upgrade from my Criterion laserdisc. If MGM were to issue a Special Edition, there's plenty of scope for bonus features (including the scenes from the workprint that were on the laserdisc).

If - as seems likely - MGM are unwilling to license the title back to Criterion, there should be some other bits and pieces in their archive that they could use (like some of Robbie's other guest appearances).

As for a commentary track, why stop with Leslie Nielsen? Other cast members - like Anne Francis and Richard Anderson - are still around too!

12. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

Since this was an MGM film, Warner now owns the rights to it. I'm a bit less hopeful for a SE knowing that Warner has the rights.

13. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    We can thank the less than optimal quality of the current DVD due to MGM rereleasing this film in Metrocolor.

Technicolor HAS to be seen only in IB Technicolor prints to be seen right. Paramount's The Godfather (and Part II) may be grainy and a little worn, but the color is the typical excellence of Technicolor.

I'll definately get the SE if it comes out! (Especially if WB uses a new Technicolor print for the transfer!)

14. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    Patrick,

As far as I know, FORBIDDEN PLANET was filmed in Metrocolor. I've never heard of a Technicolor print for this film. FWIW, I've seen a relatively new (vintage early 1990s) 35mm print recently and it's gorgeous. If the current DVD looked a tenth as good as that print, we'd all be very happy.

15. Derek M Germano

Derek M Germano Second Unit

I believe Eastmancolor is the process mentioned in film's credits.

16. Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair Producer

Any 'news' on the original muti-channel soundtrack being included?

17. GregK

GregK Screenwriter

I'm with ya Ed! I would also like the original discrete four

channel mix to be included. ..Of course WB loves to remix

classic film to 5.1, but then they drop any original mono

or multi-channel audio mix (like Ben Hur & Superman).

...Given DVDs various audio options, that's a real shame.

18. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    AFAIK, Forbidden Planet was in PerspectaSound and not a true multi-channel release.

19. John Sparks

John Sparks Screenwriter

John Sparks
    When I was young, I saw this at a Saturday matinee and for quite awhile before the movie started there was electronic music from the soundtrack playing, just like an "overture" from a bog time movie.
    I was told that there was 2 versions of the swimming scene with Anne Francis. One with a bathing suit on for the kiddies matinees and one where you coulnd't quite see the swimming suit for the adult showing. I have not found out if this is true.
    George Wallace was just on the X-Files a couple of weeks ago, so he's gotta be on the commentary!
    RobertR
    I will let you know when I hear of any movies playing our way. Hope to see you there! [​IMG]

20. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    When MGM re-released FP as a "kiddie matinee" in the late 60s (or early 70s), they edited the kissing scene out of the film. This version also used to show up on television for a while after that. There were not two versions of the bathing suit.