1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

"Forbidden Planet" remake?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jim Robbins, Jan 25, 2002.

1. Jim Robbins

Jim Robbins Stunt Coordinator

E-Entertainment reported last night that Dreamworks and Jim Cameron are planning a remake of probably the best SciFi made during the 50's. I had heard previously that New Line was interested, any body know?

2. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

I could believe there is some truth to this. Michael DeLuca was interested, or had got the rights whilst he was at New Line... The studio let him go however and he now works for....Dreamworks.

Dan (UK)

3. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

I've always regarded Cameron as a facile hack who made just one or two decent pictures. If he is involved in this most ill-advised of projects, my opinion of him is plunging to the level of regard in which I view Peter Hyams (i.e., at subterranian levels).

Some films should never be remade, and the marvelous, superb Forbidden Planet is one of them.

4. Ashley Seymour

Ashley Seymour Supporting Actor

Jack,
    We must have gotten up on the wrong side of the bed today because gain I am at odds with you on this movie. I have always loved Forbidden Planet and think it would be an excellent remake. Great plot that is timeless and can transcent the couple of generations since the original movie.
    Who to get for the rolls though? Would a cute and naive ingenue like Ann Francis work today? Cameron Diaz. Kind of the naive ditzy look; nice legs. Kate Hudson, looks a bit like Anne Francis. Reese Witherspoon, could actually act whatever part was required.
    Leslie Nielsen. He has almost ruined the original movie by all the goofy parts he has played since. Who to replace him?

5. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

I tend to agree with Jack on a Forbidden Planet remake. What's the point? It reminds me of a conversation I had with a coworker while we were carpooling to work one day. The question was why no one writes Beethoven-style symphonies now. The answer was, why try to duplicate what was already done to perfection? Create something NEW and original, dammit.

6. Rain

Rain Producer

You tell 'em, Jack.

7. AaronP

AaronP Stunt Coordinator

it will suck. They always find a way to turn remakes of old movies into juiced up, characterless action flicks. They'll find a way to totally lose the cool atmosphere and mood of the original, and turn it into Matt Le Blanc blasting through space.[​IMG]

8. AaronP

AaronP Stunt Coordinator

Ohh, Cameron is pretty good, he gave us both Terminators, Aliens, and the vastly underrated The Abyss.