Forbidden Planet on region 2 on 20th September.

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Gordon McMurphy, Mar 21, 2004.

1. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

2. Anthony Neilson

Anthony
    Why would they NOT release the 2-disc TREASURE OF THE SIERRA MADRE over here ? Why would they release MEET ME IN ST LOUIS with fewer extras ? Why would they stiff us in any of the number of ways they have ?

Because they still view R2 as a second-class region, that's why.

3. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

Oh, my gosh! Treasure of Sierra Madre: 2-Disc Special Edition is indeed NOT on DVD in region 2! [​IMG] Disc 1 is available in the Bogart Classics Collection Volume 2 Why the HELL is that?! Robin Hood: 2-Disc is available, and I also see that Yankee Doodle Dandy isn't available on region 2. WTF?

Which extras are missing from the region 2 of Meet Me In St. Lous?

Warner US are on the ball, but Warner UK seem a bit slower on the up-take. [​IMG]

If you love movies and buy DVDs, you'd be insane not to have multi-region and buy superior region 1 editions of films.

4. Steve Christou

Steve Christou Long Member

Steve Christou
    What is this, the 'Anti-Region 2' thread? tsk tsk!
    Which region is getting a 2-disc special edition of Battle of Britain, packed with extras? eh? A Bridge too far, 2-disc sp.ed, anyone? No? Okay...

5. Zen Butler

Zen Butler Producer

Zen K. Butler

Dude, you're a dick.

[​IMG]

6. Steve Christou

Steve Christou
    Zeeeeennnnnn! stop following me around, and don't call me a dick Zenboy, I'll tell your mother.[​IMG]

7. Anthony Neilson

Anthony
    Steve - do you mean the BRIDGE TOO FAR S.E that I bought from Australia about a year ago ?

Yes, there are several discs that we've got here that they don't have (yet) in America. But let's talk ratios here. Go to www.dvdcompare.net and take a look at the evidence.

8. Steve Christou

Steve Christou
    Who cares about ratios, where's your patriotism?
    Wasn't there a thread in Software recently, a US member was lamenting the fact that region 2 was getting a whole slew of great dvd releases this year while there was no sign of the region 1 versions, or did I imagine that thread?
    We get some good stuff over here, for instance the 1953 classic War of the Worlds is in stereo surround over here and in weak mono sound over there.[​IMG]

9. John Hodson

John Hodson Producer

John

R2:

• 1.37:1 Full Screen
    • DD5.1 Surround
    • English and English HOH subtitles
    • Introduction from Liza Minnelli
    • Audio Commentary by John Fricke with Margaret O'Brien, Irving Brecher, Hugh Martin & Barbara Freed-Saltzman
    • "Meet Me In St Louis: The Making Of An American Classic" (30 mins)
    • Music only track (Dolby Digital 5.1)
    • "Skip To My Lou" (1941: The Martins Soundie short)
    • Theatrical Trailer

R1:

Disc One:
    • New Introduction by Liza Minnelli
    • New Commentary by Garland biographer John Fricke with Margaret O’Brien, screenwriter Irving Brecher, songwriter Hugh Martin and daughter of producer Arthur Freed, Barbara Freed-Saltzman
    • Music-only track (without vocals)
    • Vincente Minnelli trailer gallery with trailers from eight of his most treasured films including Meet Me in St. Louis, Father of the Bride, An American in Paris, The Bad and the Beautiful, Brigadoon, Designing Woman, Gigi, and The Courtship of Eddie’s Father

Disc Two:
    • Meet Me in St. Louis: The Making of an American Classic (Narrated by Roddy McDowall)
    • Hollywood: The Dream Factory (Emmy-Award winning 1972 MGM-TV special, narrated by Dick Cavett-- First time on home video)
    • Becoming Attractions: Judy Garland (1996 TCM special)
    • Meet Me in St. Louis (1966 TV pilot with Shelley Fabares and Celeste Holm)
    • Bubbles (1930 Warner Bros. short featuring Judy Garland at age 7)
    • Skip To My Lou (Rare 1941 musical short with Meet Me in St. Louis composers Hugh Martin and Ralph Blane)
    • Audio Vault
    o Boys and Girls Like You and Me outtake (re-construction using still photographs)
    o Lux Radio Theater Broadcast from December 2, 1946
    • Stills Gallery

---
    So many films, so little time...

10. Derek_McL

Derek_McL Second Unit

Quite a lot extra there ! I don't think its anything to do with patriotism, actually I think as a patriot you should complain that we Brits are getting short changed.

This region thing is becoming really silly particularly for classic films. I mean I can understand it for recent ones but why region code films which are fifty years old ? Some films have different rights holders in different countries but that doesn't explain all the discrepancies. When I found out Meet Me In St Louis was going to be available in region 2 I was happy thinking good thats one I can get in stores and I can can save my online purchases for something rarer or more obscure. I mean St Louis is only the most famous of the Garland releases in April. Are the other films getting a release in the UK at all ? To add insult to injury you then learn you'd be crazy to buy the region 2.

I really thought that with the release of Adventures of Robin Hood (1938) and Casablanca SE (1943) Warner had stopped the policy of releasing cut down DVDs here but I was wrong. It just reduces the choice of the consumer or film fan who wants to buy one of the many silents / classics available in region 1 but not here.

11. John Hodson

John Hodson Producer

John

Quite a lot of Warners recent classic releases have been encoded R0 - including all the movies in the Legends box set, but not the extra documentary disc - as are many Criterions.

---
    So many films, so little time...

12. Mark_vdH

Mark_vdH Screenwriter

R2 Warner titles do have a rather puzzling advantage over their R1 counterparts though. While R1 titles only have English subtitles during the movie, recent R2 releases of the same titles do have English subtitles during the extra features (not the commentaries though). Usually, R2 Warner titles also have both "plain" English subs and English subtitles for the deaf (but only during the film itself).

I can understand that a company won't subtitle extras because of costs, but I can't see why a company would only subtitle extras in some region(s) while ignoring the deaf and hard of hearing in their largest market.

Oh, the recent R2 release of Gaslight only contains the Bergman version.

13. Steve Christou

Steve Christou

You'll be surprised, nearly all the big movies of the past few years have subtitled commentaries here in the UK. I love subtitled commentaries, get all the facts you need with the original soundtrack on, you don't have to hear the director's droning voice. I've chosen many a region 2 dvd over the 'released first' region 1 version simply because I knew it would have a subtitled commentary.[​IMG]

14. Mark_vdH

Mark_vdH Screenwriter

I was just referring to Warner. They don't subtitle (English) commentaries anywhere, AFAIK.

I never put on commentary subtitles. Instead, I always put on the regular movie subtitles while listening to the commentary. I want to follow both. [​IMG]

However, I agree that it would be a good thing for deaf (and HOH) people if major companies like Warner & Fox would give up just a tiny bit of their profits to subtitle all extras. Paramount is great regarding this issue BTW.

15. Zen Butler

Zen Butler Producer

Zen K. Butler

Translates to Region 1 speak: "I'm very envious of the U.K's
    release schedule, You're very lucky!"

16. Derek_McL

Derek_McL Second Unit

OK Warner might do their classics in Region 0 but it isn't quite the same as being able to go out and buy the best possible version of a DVD at your local store. Nine times out of Ten you can only do that in the US. There are loads of classics and silents not available in the UK whether region 0 or region 1 or whatever.

17. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

I just noticed that Warner's JFK: Special Edition Director's Cut isn't available on region 2. I have the region 1 edition, but I assumed that the region 2 edition had been release since then. Strange.

18. Anthony Neilson

Anthony
    I can't believe there's any debate about whether R2 is less well treated than R1 !

Steve, you talk about patriotism but you know what you are ? You're a collaborator, that's what ! Go and live in France !

[​IMG]

19. ChristianLiemke

ChristianLiemke Stunt Coordinator

DVDuell.de

Do you mean the new one with the documentary or the old one? The old one is available in Sweden, packed in a snapper like the 2-DVD-set of "Any given Sunday". The same disc is available in Germany, packed in a nice digi-pack.

20. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

I did not know that it was available in Sweden and Germany. But it is certainly not available in Britain. What are Warner playing at? It would be a big seller - or at least a better seller than the current bare-bones edition that still sells for £15.99 in some high-street stores. [​IMG] I pity the fool who picks that up without knowing of the excellent SE with Ollie's outrageously good commentary.

Also, I was in HMV the other day and I see that there an HMV-exclusive boxed set of the original bare-bones editions of One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest, Amadeus, Deer Hunter for £21.99. The first two are poor 1997 non-anamorphic efforts. All films are now 2-disc SEs which can be found for under £40 in total if you shop around online. The 2-disc edition are superb - you'd be a fool to buy the box over them, regardless of the price.

When a truly superior edition is released, the previous edition should be deleted, as to help customers avoid buying a film they love in a lesser version. Not every DVD buyer is as savvy as us HTF Scouts! [​IMG]