What's new

FORBIDDEN PLANET and other SF films on the Big Screen! (1 Viewer)

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Yep, gang. Here I am again telling you about an upcoming event at the Loew's Jersey movie palace in Jersey City, New Jersey. If you followed the threads about Mad Mad World and Titanic, you can see how much fun the shows at the Loew's are. Well, this weekend's will be no different. What's showing? CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND (The "Director's Final Cut"), a double feature of BRAIN FROM PLANET AROUS & DR. WHO AND THE DALEKS, and FORBIDDEN PLANET. What's so special about these shows? How about 35mm screenings in a 3300-seat 1926 movie palace! How about FORBIDDEN PLANET being presented in PerspectaSound for the first time in over 40 years!
I've never heard of theatrical showings of these films anywhere in this area for years (never, in the case of this version of CLOSE ENCOUNTERS), so I'm hoping a good crowd shows up. Here are the details of the event.
========
The Loew's Jersey Theatre - a 3300-seat movie palace (located at Journal Square in Jersey City, New Jersey; minutes from New York City) currently undergoing restoration - is presenting a 2-day festival of science fiction films on the big screen on April 26 & 27. They feature a 50-foot wide screen, stereo sound, and some of the best projection and sound technicians in the business. And seeing these older pictures in 35mm projected on a screen in a genuine movie palace is worth the trip from just about anywhere to Jersey City. The films show this Friday and Saturday. More info and directions on the theatre website: www.loewsjersey.org
SCIENCE-FICTION WEEKEND
Presented in cooperation with Chiller Theatre
Friday, April 26
CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND (1977)
7:30PM (Doors Open at 7:10)
presented in widescreen Panavision and Dolby Stereo. Plus, 20 minutes of rare, original science-fiction coming attractions from the fabulous fifties!
Saturday, April 27
Classic Kiddie Double-Feature Matinee:
THE BRAIN FROM PLANET AROUS (1957) plus
DR. WHO AND THE DALEKS (1965) presented in widescreen Techniscope and dye-transfer Technicolor.
2:00 PM (Doors Open at 1:40)
Saturday, April 27
FORBIDDEN PLANET (1956)
7:30PM (Doors Open at 7:10)
presented in widescreen CinemaScope and, for the first time since 1956, Perspecta Stereophonic Sound! Plus, a Tom and Jerry cartoon in CinemaScope and Perspecta, and a short featuring the MGM Symphony Orchestra.
Plus - there will be displays of rare, original sci-fi movie posters in the grand lobby, from the collections of Marc Zubatkin and Brian Bavosa. Plus - a table of rare sci-fi collectable models and props for sale and there will be a raffle before each show, from the collection of Ernest Napolitano.
=====
Hope as many HTF members as possible can attend - look for me, I'll be wearing the "Hammer Films" baseball cap!
Pete

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
For once, I regret living in California. Oh, Peter, how I envy you your good fortune. I've seen Forbidden Planet in 35mm before; it's not an experience to miss.

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
is it possible to purchase advance tickets for that theater? i'd hate to take a trip to Jersey only to arrive at a sold-out event.

DJ

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Damin, I don't believe they sell advance tickets, but I don't think you need to worry. Even with the balcony being closed, they probably have around 1000 seats or so available. Just try to get there 45 minutes early and you'll be fine. The biggest crowd they've had so far was around 500 for Mad World. I'll find out the exact number of seats for you anyway.

Jack, I've also seen FORBIDDEN PLANET in 35mm a couple of times, but *never* on a screen this large and certainly not with the Perspecta track. It's going to be incredible.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
does this theater have a flat screen or one of those curved screens?

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Damin: FYI, the theater currently has 1600 seats available on the orchestra level (when the balcony seats and the remaining orchestra seats are finished and installed, there will be 3200 seats total). So, I don't think you need to worry about the show being sold out.

Tony, the theater's screen is flat, not curved. With the new Schneider lenses they've installed recently, focus is razor-sharp corner to corner. And 'scope movies are 50-feet wide!

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Was the Stereo soundtrack on the MGM DVD taken from the Perspecta tracks ala' The Hidden Fortress or was it just a mono dialog/effects soundtrack with stereo music?

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Kevin,

I don't think the DVD's audio was derived from the Perspecta tracks. I think it's the same "remixed for stereo" track from the LaserDisc.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I share Jack's envy. I've seen Forbidden Planet three times on the big screen, the last time with a newly restored print, and it was a fantastic experience. I've heard that Warner is preparing an SE of the film. It would be great if they used the Perspecta tracks.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Hey, Robert: Do you have any info regarding the possible SE? I've heard here and there that something's being cooked up, but can't find anything substantive. And, yes, let's hear it for the Perspecta soundtrack!
And Peter: Please give us a complete assessment of the experience once you've seen the flick (I'm assuming, of course, that you're going to see it! :) )

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Don't worry, Jack, I'll have a complete write-up of the day; nothing except serious illness will keep me away. I'll be spending all day Saturday there, I'm taking my son to see the double-feature in the afternoon, then leaving to meet my wife for dinner, then she's taking him back home while I go back to the theater for FORBIDDEN PLANET! It's been a while since I've done a triple-feature.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Jack: Only a brief blurb at The Digital Bits. One thing I don't like about the current DVD, aside from the occasional scratch and such on the film, is that it seems to be mono, even though it says it's stereo.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Unfortunately, I can't make any of these shows this time.:angry:

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Tino,

Since you told me stories about you literally growing up there, I'm sure your "spirit" will be there this weekend, anyway.

See you at the Bond shows!

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
It certainly will Peter. Especially for tonights showing of Close Encounters Of The Third Kind, which I saw at the Loews Jersey in its original run in 1977!
I came out of the Loews that night "watching the skies" and performing the 5 note theme in sign language as was shown in the film. That film had a profound effect on me back then.
Was I a geek or what?:D

Bill Huelbig

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bill Huelbig
Tino:

Was the Loews still one big theater in 1977? I saw THE TERMINATOR there in 1984 but it had already been divided up - a very sad sight, which makes what's going on there these days seem almost like a miracle.

--Bill

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Bill
It was converted into a triplex in 1976 I think.
I saw Close Encounters in the #1 upstairs theater, which is/was the balcony. Unfortunately the balcony is closed currently. I can't wait unil it is re-opened. It will be a very surreal experience sitting in that balcony again.
BTW, did anyone see Close Encounters there last night, and how was the presentation?:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks