What's new

for young kids which to get playstation 2 or xbox? (1 Viewer)

Adam

Stunt Coordinator
I want to get my two boys, ages 5 and 7 an new video game console. They have a old ps1 and have fun with the games but it is getting old and very glitchy.

Between Xbox and Playstation 2, which has better games for younger kids?

Of course I wouldn't mind having a new game console in the house myself. Don't tell my wife ;).

Thanks.

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor
PlayStation 2. :)

For platformers and adventure games, there is no equal. With the likes of Jak, Ratchet & Clank, Sly Cooper and Spyro*, each sequel has built on the successes of its predecessor, resulting in gameplay that is unmatched by most other gaming franchises (except Mario and company on the Gamecube).

The EyeToy is a fun accessory that encourages participation and interaction within the mini-games. Software titles that should appeal to them include Nicktoons Movin' and Sega Superstars.

Popular kids' properties are also well represented on the PS2; they include Fairly OddParents, Jimmy Neutron, SpongeBob SquarePants, and assorted Disney and WB cartoon characters starring in their own titles.

Is there a reason why the Gamecube isn't a part of the mix? It's the least expensive of the three and the first-party software offerings are stellar (e.g. Mario Golf, Mario Kart, Mario Party, Mario Power Tennis, Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door).

* Spyro also appears on the Gamecube

RichardK

Second Unit
I would rule out the XBOX for the age group you are talking about. I just bought an XBOX for myself and have tried to find
games that are appropriate and easy to play for my 4 and 6yr old (Finding Nemo, Crash Bandicoot Kart, etc). The XBOX just doesnt have the library to cover the youngest of age groups. I might get a Gamecube for my kids to play. I almost went the PS2 route to try and cover Me and the kids, but Halo 2, XBOX Live, 5.1 DD sound, 480p/720p/10801i games were the difference in my decision to go with XBOX.

Elinor

Supporting Actor
Another vote for PS2. The sheer number of titles available for PS2 dwarfs what is available for XBOX, so there will be more of ALL genres.

And I have nothing against XBOX. I have both hooked up to my HDTV.

Rob Silver

Stunt Coordinator
Get your boys a GameCube or PS2. When you think about Xbox, it's all about Halo. What other game is exclusive to Xbox that's not about killing?

Adam

Stunt Coordinator
Damn,

I was hoping you would all say Xbox :), but I kind of knew it would be playstation 2 for this age group.

Well, maybe my wife can get me xbox.

Thanks for the replies.

Leo

Second Unit
Don't see it mentioned, but the other reason for a PS2 is the fact that you can use the old PS1 games and memory cards with it. So no loss of use by upgrading to the new console.

Bryan Ri

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan
For young kids I'd say neither and go with a GameCube. If I had to choose between the mentioned two, I'd say Ps2.

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
What everybody else said.

Kid ranking with consoles I'd said is:

1st. Nintendo (any of them)
2nd. Playstation 2
5th. Xbox (don't know what 3&4 would be, but they'd come before the xbox for little tots. :) )

Adam

Stunt Coordinator
The big problem now is there are no Playstation 2 consoles available. :frowning:

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor

Retailers have been struck with PS2 shortages this holiday season. Places such as Best Buy and EB do receive daily shipments; unfortunately, most allotments are sold within two hours of their arrival (you can place deposits at EB and Gamestop to increase your chances of securing a unit). Circuit City is taking pre-orders, but they won't be fulfilled until mid-January 2005. You may want to check other chains (such as MEIJER, if you live in the Midwest) for stock.

Base-model Gamecubes should be easier to get ahold of (Mario Kart bundles may be tougher; they are completely sold out in my area).

Adam

Stunt Coordinator
I just got back from Wal mart, where they just received a shipment. They had at least a dozen. I procured one. :) Thanks for the feedback.

Adam.

Jeff-0

Stunt Coordinator
x-box there is no comparison between the two systems. ps2 is like atari compared to x-box!!

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus

For digital big screens you are correct, but 36" and below analog, there's no real advantage for either

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I personally find the PS2 controllers to be a bit less clumsy than the X-Box controllers. I don't know what all the buzz is about but I'm not at all impressed with the X-Box. My 1st gen PS2 died about a year after I bought it, but I'll most likely get a new one when GT4 comes out.

GabeP

Stunt Coordinator
ok, for that young of an age, definately not an xbox, too good, lol jk. but I would say GC, because it has those cartoonish games like Mario, and Shave Mario's Beard, plus, it's cheaper. $100?

GabeP

Stunt Coordinator
so, you can still state your opinion if someone else is also in the same boat

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks