What's new

For you Spock's Beard fans out there... (1 Viewer)

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
I'm at work so I can't hear it now. But I want to hear it now. Now!

I can't wait for this album, and I hope they tour.

Mark Paquette

Supporting Actor
Holy crap! That sample track is incredible. I didn't think anyone made music like that anymore. Are their other albums that progressive and complex? Any recommendations on where to start for a Spocks Beard rookie like me?

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
Mark,
I love it! New Beard meat! :)
To answer your question, yes, all their stuff is like that (although maybe not quite as heavy...then again maybe it is). I really don't know where to tell you to start, you can't go wrong with any of it. My favorite is probably 'Beware Of Darkness', but that seems to change frequently. I posted the following in a thread many months ago:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...725#post402725
If you're a fan of complex prog rock, definitely give them a try!

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Kindness of Strangers is a personal favorite of mine, because it's the first album of theirs I heard. The Good Don't Last is incredible.

V is simply fantastic. The vocal arrangements on Thoughts II is very reminiscent of Gentle Giant and that last monster of a track is brilliant.

NP: Herbie Hancock, Madien Voyage

Mark Paquette

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the info guys. I'll be making a stop to pick up some new CD's on my way home from work today.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
Mark,

While you're at it, you should consider trying out Transatlantic, the super-group consisting of Neal Morse (Spock's Beard frontman), Mike Portnoy (Dream Theater drummer), Roine Stolte (Flower Kings frontman), & Pete Trewaras (Marillion bassist). They have 3 CDs (2 studio, 1 live), and they are all amazing. As Brian said...Neal Morse is absolutely brilliant...and Transatlantic is no exception.

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
V is my favorite Beard album with The Kindness of Strangers a close second. All of them are great. I heard about Snow earlier this summer and I've been salivating ever since. A double CD to boot!

I second the recommendation of Transatlantic. I got into Beard after discovering Transatlantic (with a little help from my HTF friends!). All three of their albums are great. The only bad thing about them is they can't concentrate on new work because they're busy working their 'day jobs'.

Mark Paquette

Supporting Actor
Well I picked up V because that was the only Spocks Beard CD that Best Buy had. I've only listened to it a couple of times but so far I like it. It's a bit heavy on the organ / keyboard stuff for my tastes though. Kind of reminds me of a Rick Wakeman solo CD. Mostly though their stuff is very similar to Yes. I'll probably order some Transatlantic from Amazon.com since I can't find any in the stores.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
It's a bit heavy on the organ / keyboard stuff for my tastes though.
Their earlier stuff isn't as heavy on the keyboards. In fact, for their first few albums they didn't even have a dedicated keyboard player/organist. Check out 'The Light' or 'Beware Of Darkness'.

Jeff Keene

Supporting Actor
:frowning: I'm too slow. The 2 downloadable tracks seem to be gone. There was a piece of the "Overture" available. I liked the instrumental parts. As for the vocals... since you all like him I'm sure I will. First impression though was that he sings Real Real Emotional (TM), like Dream Theater, which bugs me. But I'll get over it. Album ordered.

MichaelAW

Second Unit
Neal Morse always sounds like that. He's way too earnest for me, which is why I waited to do my Spock's Beard threadfart here until someone gave me an opening. :)
I really don't like the Beard. The music is weak, and then there's the Neal Morse Factor, which is a big reason why Transatlantic is just 75% good.
Anyway, I'll shut up now.

Brian Dobbs

Ambassador
Real Name
Brian Dobbs
The music is weak, and then there's the Neal Morse Factor
:eek:
Come Again? Spocks Beard music is the epitome of anti-weak music! Make sense? Look at every other group or band out today and you won't get nearly the same quality of songwriting or musicianship time and time again from most everyone else.
Transatlantic wouldn't be half as good if it wasn't for transatlantic. Who do you think wrote most of the music?

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the input Michael.
For those that haven't heard, there's a limited edition of Snow with a third disk. Check out www.spocksbeard.com for a track listing for the limited edition.

MichaelAW

Second Unit
Look at every other group or band out today and you won't get nearly the same quality of songwriting or musicianship time and time again from most everyone else.
Just staying in the "progressive rock" genre, I can think of about twenty bands, just off the top of my head, that are better at songwriting and musicianship than Spock's Beard. And I don't even like all of them (such as Dream Theater).

Just because something's better than *NSYNC doesn't make it good.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
I preordered my copy of the limited edition a few days ago. FYI, order the disc from www.radiantrecords.com to support the band.
Done and done. I have no clue what's on the third disc, but it's more Beard goodness, so who cares? I also ordered a live album while I was there.
Michael, just curious, which are your favorite modern prog bands? Are you into the European scene?
Obviously I love the Beard, and part of it is because they're not so over-the-top prog. They keep a strong sense of melody and are listenable by anybody, eg, my girlfriend can tolerate them.
I admit to liking the more obvious prog bands that are around today: Dream Theater, Flower Kings, Beard, etc.
NP: Chick Corea, Origin, Complete Blue Note, disc 5

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks