For you smartie-pants people

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by matthew_rm, Jun 18, 2002.

1. matthew_rm

matthew_rm Second Unit

I need something clever to say. I know what I want to say, but I dont know enough words in my head to say it.(weird)
    1. I know a girl who keeps calling me a hipocryt. (chilish) She says she's not, but I know she is. She is also a little crazy. She acts like we are friends, but she hates me..(so Im told) What "clever thing" can I say?
    -I hope someone replies[​IMG]
    2. I know a really hard core church guy allways trying to convert me. Everything he says and does has to do with making me think that church is great. Thats not the way I feel! He has been trying to convert me for about four years now. He asks his parents how to approch me with diffrent "conversion methods." He has no idea I know that. WHat the heck should I say? (again, smart people welcome here)
    Thanks for any advise![​IMG]

2. Mark R O

Mark R O Stunt Coordinator

1. "Goodbye"
    a. "Thank you for your invitations. I have asked in my
    prayers that you allow Him to guide me as he will,
    and for you to see all is as it should be."
    b. Or, consider his obsessive calls for your obedience
    to be an alarming display of zealotry and run!
    (hint: correct answer is b.)

3. Mark R O

Mark R O Stunt Coordinator

1. "Goodbye"
    a. Thank you for your invitations. I have asked in my
    prayers that you allow Him to guide me as he will,

4. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Do you have a crush on this girl? If not, you should probably ignore her. Or perhaps express open contempt. Anything BUT behave like a doormat...the goal is to not let her walk all over you. Some people get off on feeling "superior" to others, and insulting them openly. Although you said she "acts like your friend". Does she truly? A friend would not openly insult you or pull the "I am superior" attitude. The fact that someone else had to tell you this is rather odd...could you not tell yourself?

As for a clever line...well, that is more difficult. What do you expect to gain from it? Why do you feel the need to be clever and witty? It sounds like you want to join a new peer group. Hundreds of movies have been made and countless books have been written on this very subject!

At any rate, clever lines come from experience, self-confidence (or detachment/aloofness), and timing. I found that the more you read, the easier it is...go to the bookstore, pick up a book that interests you. Over time, it will come naturally.

As for that church guy...you need to practice the art of "buzz off, bozo" without actually telling him that. Let's see...strong body language probably won't work against the hard-core recruiter, but if you make it look like you're in a big hurry, or too busy with something, you may be able to get away from him. If you're idling at a bus stop or otherwise lounging around, try carrying a book with you to read...that way you'll look busy! Now, I'm sure some HTF members will suggest books like "Necromonicon" or "HP Lovecraft's collected works" or "So you want to be a Satanist?", but you don't need to go that far. Rather, pick a book you think would make an interesting read. When he approaches you, tell him you need to finish the book for a school project. If he insists, you can tell him he is interfering with your studies (Uh, assuming you're in school).

Here are some suggestions for books:

"From Beruit to Jerusalem" by Thomas Friedman...great book on the tragic Middle East situation, and a great travelogue.

"The Demon Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark", by Carl Sagan. Another incredible work by the famous astronomer/scientists. And the title would certainly be off-putting to your cultist "friend". :wink:

I'd suggest more, but I can't pretend to know what you'd like!

Of course, the easiest thing to do is say, "Leave me alone" and then walk away.

5. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

If this has persisted as long as you say it has...

1. "Goodbye".
    2. "F**k off".

No. 2 sounds a little harsh, but you did say FOUR YEARS. I wouldn't bother wasting your energies in trying to come up with something 'clever'.

6. Julie K

Julie K Screenwriter

7. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

If you wanted to be really polite you could say "Please f**k off".

That invidual is not only cramming his religious beliefs down your throat, but is attempting to change your lifestyle. To a certain degree he's succeeding because you're posting here about it.

8. Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm Supporting Actor

EDIT: Subject deemed not worth commenting on.

9. Kirk Gunn

Kirk Gunn Screenwriter

The worst insult you can give people is to ignore them. Don't even recognize their existence. It used to be a punishment in primitive tribes (or so my Sociology teacher claimed), and was quite effective.

10. Dennis Reno

Dennis Reno Supporting Actor

1. Don't give her the time of day. A true friend does not tell other people how much she hates you. She is either a hypocrite herself or it is a young "crush" (you didn't mention your age, no insult intended!) It seems that some people try to squelch their emotions by telling others how much they dislike the object of their affection.
    2. (Friend) I would politely, but firmly, tell him how much you appreciate his offers and/or concerns but you are not interested AT ALL. If he continues to badger you tell him you no longer want to associate with him.
    2 (Acquaintance) Something along the lines of "I'm not the least bit interested in your church or beliefs. In fact, I find your constant harassment to be annoying to say the least. The only thing you have accomplished in the last four years is to make me very certain that I don't want to be a member of your church."
    Or, as Kirk recommended, simply ignore them. Practice giving a disgusted look (including eye roll, heavy sigh and shake of the head.) Sometimes saying nothing at all is far more powerful.

11. JasenP

JasenP Screenwriter

Jasen
    1) Ignore her, it'll drive her crazy.
    2) Rob had it with "Please f**k off" there is absolutely no way to not know what you mean.

12. Julie K

Julie K Screenwriter

We don't know the whole story. Is the guy a total stranger, a friend of the family, a boss, a co-worker, a neighbor, a casual acquaintance? Only Matthew can say exactly how polite he wants to be in each of these situations (and frankly, being polite to a boss or neighbor is probably a good thing and parental repercussions can be quite horrific if one pisses off a close family friend.) However, four years is far too long. Firm and polite is my suggestion, with any and all other attempts completely ignored, even to the point of leaving the room/area. You can modify the politeness level depending upon the social repercussions.

Of couse, some HTF members might suggest going into long and gory details about the latest ritual sacrifice in the local Esoteric Order of Dagon, but that would be really childish.

13. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

The girl obviously has a serious crush on you. I'd give her a kiss that she won't forget for awhile. If she's really disgusted by it, you'll never see her again.

As for the guy, do a little research on his group, find something that you strongly disagree with, and let him know that you'd never join a group like that.

Glenn

14. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

Well, I can't say what I would say to a girl like that... growing up in a house full of boys, I have a mouth like a sailor... so, use your imagination.

As for the holy roller... my response is usually: "I would love to join your church, but I can't. Because, you see, I am the Devil."

15. Julie K

Julie K Screenwriter

16. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

When someone is concerned with being so clever, he will fail to do so. But it is not important. If you're goal is to get people to notice what you're saying and take it to heart, blunt direct honesty will always do the trick.

While some people would gasp at the idea of telling a priest to go f*** himself, one must remember that a priest is a person just like anyone else. If a person disrespects you, he doesn't deserve your concern. Pushing religion on seomeone is insulting and highly disrespectful.

If you really want to scare the priest away, say something like, "Why are you so interested in converting me, so you can molest me?" or "Your constant proselytizing shows your uncertainty about your own faith and the need to effect others to constantly reaffirm it. How sad." Not saying you should do these, but I think his reaction would be funny.

17. Shane Gralaw

Shane Gralaw Second Unit

Well, most good comebacks are situational, so I'm not sure what to say to the girl unless you give a specific circumstance.

As for the religious guy: "Since our last few conversations I have found myself praying more. Praying that you will get a clue and leave me the f*** alone!"

18. Eve T

Eve T Supporting Actor

I can see this topic maybe getting a little heated. Only for the reason that religion was brought up or a situation that involved religion. There are several religious people on this board who DON'T approach people the way this guy you know does. Most of us have some common sense and know how to take a simple NO and or a hint. However, I have an answer for both of your situations:

IGNORE THEM BOTH.
    Problem solved.

The guy and girl aren't hurting you after all, They just annoy you. Avoid them if they bother you so much. I don't get it....

19. matt bee

matt bee Stunt Coordinator

Glenn,
    I'd say that your first solution would probably work on the friend just as well as the girl...[​IMG]

20. Luis Esp

Luis Esp Supporting Actor

1. Just ignore her.
    2. I believe Mulder said in an episode of "X Files", "Even the devil can quote the bible for his own use." And if that sets him off, tell him "I'll say high to the devil for you."