What's new

For Whom The Bell Tolls (1 Viewer)

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
Is this available on dvd? If so, how is the picture and sound quality?

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Wow, I didn't know For Whom the Bell Tolls had been restored to its original running length. They gave it a good review, too. I think I'll have to pick this one up. It was a Best Picture Oscar-nominee in 1943, too, also for actor, actress, and many others, and Katina Paxinou won for supporting actress.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
FOR WHOM THE BELL TOLLS was restored to 166 minutes in 1995, when it was released on laserdisc. It was originally released at 170 minutes, so there are still a few minutes which are lost (forever, probably).

Ernest

Supporting Actor
This is a movie that is so good you just have to be happy it is available in any format. The restoration was only possible by adding film elements different in video quality than the original negative. The movie, like many others of its time, was cut so bad to meet the 2 hour limitation what was left was a mismash of a movie.

You will notice the restored parts are a little grainy and not quite as sharp as the original negative. No matter, this is a masterpiece and very acceptable and enjoyable. If it is still available, buy it. Also think about other excellent Heminghway movies available, such as The Sun Also Rises, Snows of Kilamanjaro and Farwell to Arms. I have them all and they are great.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, it's a great film and I may pick this DVD up.

Does anyone know what Hemmingway thought of the movie?

Gordy

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
Ernest,

You have "The Sun Also Rises? on DVD? I wasn't aware that it had ever been released in any format on home video, so if you have it I'd be interested to know who put it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks