for weightlifters: is creatine any good?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Anthony_D, Dec 16, 2001.

1. Anthony_D

Anthony_D Stunt Coordinator

just wondering....i've been lifting weights for about a year now and im thinking of trying creatine...is it good?

2. Jason P

Jason P Stunt Coordinator

I tried it once, a few months ago for about a week. It made my... how do I put this?... visits to the bathroom more interesting.

Ah, screw it. It gave me the runs, so I stopped.

3. DennisHP

DennisHP Second Unit

Creatine helped me make pretty good gains in both strength and mass but it doesn't work for everyone. Try it for a month and see. It's pretty cheap so you're not out a whole lot. Follow the instructions for your body weight and if it's gonna work for you, you will notice it in about 10-14 days.

4. James D S

James D S Screenwriter

Aside from protein, creatine is probably your best bet for making significant gains. Proper creatine absorption has too many positive lab studies for me to deny its usefullness.
    I've tried MuscleTech's Cell-Tech creatine product for quite a while, and while it is no wonder-drug (nothing is better than water and hard work. [​IMG] ), I have noticed significant gains beyond what I expected. Of course, I'm rather cynical when it comes to supplements, so I wasn't expecting much.
    I'd suggest you give it a try, especially if you've found yourself plateauing.
    (So far, my best pumps come when I'm on creatine)
    Just remember, if you try a supplement that doesn't include a delivery system, like Cell-Tech, and instead opt for straight creatine, be sure to down it with grapefruit juice. That should allow the body to absorb it properly.
    Also, don't forget to load. It's all for not if you don't load.

5. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

Dont bother,Ive gotten better results from Gingeng.

6. Tom Johnson

Tom Johnson Stunt Coordinator

Actually grapefruit juice is the one juice you should absolutely NOT take it with. If you get the flavored type you will be taking in an enormous amount of sugar. Get the plain creatine and drink it straight with water. I tried it with juice and it was horrible. I travel on business and with no juice available in my hotel room, I knew I'd be drinking it straight. The first time I drank it I was amazed. The same stuff that made apple or grape juice taste like crap was barely noticable with plain water.

7. Chris Smith

Chris Smith Stunt Coordinator

I never used it, but a bunch of guys on my football team in H.S. did. Make sure, if you try it, to drink LOTS of water, all day long. Saw way to many kids cramp up and not be able to finish games because they were dehydrated, as creatine will do to you.

8. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast
    Supporter

Clint
    Creating also did not agree with my body. Sure, I got good results. After using it for a couple months, I was noticeably stronger and had more endurance, but I was having horrible stomach cramps. I finally stopped using it and the cramps went away.

9. Kenny Goldin

Kenny Goldin Second Unit

Try EAS Phosphagen HP.

10. James D S

James D S Screenwriter

11. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer

When I was taking a Molecular Physiology class two years ago, many people were asking about taking creatine--the professor said that it will add some bulk by making your muscles hold more water, but that it doesn't really do much for increasing available energy.

12. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

I'm in my third week of creatine right now, and plan to stop the cycle in afew weeks...

1. It's very effective for me (i.e. lean muscle mass baby)

2. I gotta pee all day long (b/c yes, you gotta drink alotta water or your liver and kidneys will suffer)

3. It buffers lactic acid during workouts

4. It stays in the body for 4-6 weeks after you take it.

Your body stops producing it naturally when you start taking the supplement and vise versa. My advice to you is: drink alotta water and make sure you take 5-10 grams a day (even on non-workout days), no more, no less.

13. Samuel Des

Samuel Des Supporting Actor

I have heard that something called whey (sp?) protein is the way to go, instead of creatine.

14. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

nuh uh...the blend of creatine AND protein is the way to go. The reason nutrition store power proteins are so effective is b/c it's a discrete formula that infiltrates the blood vessels very quickly to help muscle recover. That said, creatine, which increases the capacity for muscle tissue synthesis and protein is one sweet combo. Make sure you add some carbs in there too.