What's new

For US soccer fans - the World Cup schedule on Univision (1 Viewer)

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
I have no idea what will be shown on the networks or cable stations here in the US from this event, and I haven't found anything on their websites, so I went to the spanish language station Univision.
For those who get that station, they are showing a lot pretty much all of the games, so I thought the soccer fans in the forum, if there are any, would be interested to see the schedule. It's at http://www.univision.com/content/cha...=328&secid=367
Just a little over 2 months left!!
/Mike

Alex-C

Screenwriter
I have witnessed many sporting events on Television, from the 1980 USA olympic hockey game (yes I watched it and even taped it on a tape recorder, not vhs but audio cassette...how 1980 is that ?) to every superbowl in the last 15 years.

I have to say that the most exhilirating, electic sporting event I have ever witnessed was the last World Cup England vs. Argentina game in France. I wish I could buy that or I wish I taped it because it was freaking amazing !

I am not even a big soccer fan and I cant wait !

Jeff_A

Screenwriter
Well stated, Alex. The World Cup is a very special sporting event. I find myself becoming glued to the action (and results) once it begins.

Dave Smith

Stunt Coordinator
Alex,
I watched that England-Argentina game at work in '98 (I'm English but live in the USA). I had no cable, and the only channel my TV could receive which was showing the game, was a Spanish-language one.
Every time England scored there was a muted "blah blah goal" from the announcer. When Argentina scored there was one of the classic screaming "GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLL " type exclamations. Not biased at all :)

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Yep, in the same group as Sweden, no less! :) England's first game i vs Sweden, June 2nd, 5:30 AM eastern time.
/Mike

Aaron Schmitt

Stunt Coordinator
If you want to watch in english, ABC/ESPN typically show at least all the US games live, and typically show all games live (this was true of both the 94 and 98 WC's). They may change that a little given the games are now in Japan/Korea, with a much bigger time difference.

Aaron

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Aaron, do you know of a place on the ESPN/ABC website that gives the schedule for the games they're showing? I trid to find it but I couldn't.

/Mike

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Ryan, are you sure about that? It makes perfect sense, since it seems that no sports that aren't on in prime time or on the weekend will ever again be broadcast live on american network TV...

/Mike

Aaron Schmitt

Stunt Coordinator
Mike: Espn will probably have a schedule show up sometime around the end of May. Did you check soccernet.com (I think that's Espn's soccer site)? I wouldn't be surprised if Espn showed some games live, at least on the deuce. They did show live games during WC 94(when it was in the US) and 98, because there were games on in the middle of the week, in the middle of the day. If anything, there's always CBC (the Canadian channel) and the International channel, both of which may be showing live games as well.

Aaron

Alex-C

Screenwriter
FWIW...when I watched the England - Argentina game in the '98 world cup, I came home for lunch (12 pm PST) and it was on live....it was such an exhilirating game, I didnt go back to work until it was over...which was around 3 pm pst.

Anyway, that was not tape delayed, it was on in the middle of the week, in the middle of the day..live.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Aaron, yeah I checked ESPN and ABC, nothing about it there, we'll see if they have something about it as we get closer.

I wouldn't be surprised if ESPN shows some games live.

/Mike

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Speaking as that rare thing - a Brit heterosexual male who hates soccer - I should be very happy to swap time zones with you guys for the duration of the event.

Ryan L B

Supporting Actor
If they have the figure skating finals taped from japan and not live, they should do the same thing for the soccer.

Aaron Schmitt

Stunt Coordinator
Ryan, they usually don't tape delay the WC in the US because soccer isn't very popular to watch on TV here. Olympic figure skating is the highest rated event (of the winter olympics) in the US, so NBC likes to get prime time time slots and advertising dollars.

oh, and Mike, have you watched/taped any of the UEFA Champions League games on ESPN2? They usually have 2 games on a week, 1 on Tues and 1 on Weds.

Aaron

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Aaron, no I haven't. I'm pressed for time as it is, so I only watch the really major sporting events, and read about the rest. With Super Bowl, NCAA basketball, the golf majors, the NBA finals, the world series, Stanley Cup, World Cup soccer/European Cup soccer, the World Championship hockey and college football to watch, plus my weekly dose of golf, I don't think I can squeeze in more...

/Mike

Nathan_R

Supporting Actor
allez les bleus! :) I've been counting the days since July 12, 1998. Can't wait!!!
I hope DISH can get a package together on ppv.
Best regards,
~~Nathan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks