1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

**For us poor people**

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by matthew_rm, May 9, 2002.

1. matthew_rm

matthew_rm Second Unit

Being in high school, I can't have Sony XBR.
    However, in terms of flat screens, what do you think of "Prima." They are very well priced. Also, don't seem to bad. My friend has a 24, and it's nice! I could get a 27" flat screen Prima for $399.99CDN. (like $20.00USD[​IMG] )
    Thats how much a 19"RCA costs!

2. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

Reliability is generally suspect on these units.

Regards

3. matthew_rm

matthew_rm Second Unit

You mean Like every other flat screen TV?

4. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

No I mean like these off brand TV names. Same goes for the $100 DVD players ...

You may find the set going on the fritz in a year ... or less ... track record for such off brands is not good.

Really have to be careful where you put your hard earned dollars.

Regards

5. Roel_S

Roel_S Agent

I would go for the Samsung Flat Screen TV's if you're willing to spend around $400 - $450...

6. Tony_Woods

Tony_Woods Stunt Coordinator

I paid $349 for my Akai 27" flat screen. It's a clone of the highly regarded Samsung model. If you have a Sams Club near by, check it out. On a similar note, I noticed K-Mart has a like of "Apex" Flat Screen TV's. I'm not personally interested in one, but out of curiousity does anyone have an experience with them?

7. MickeS

MickeS Producer

With a TV that small do you really need the flat screen? Just curious. I always wanted the Wegae, but all the geometry issues with the flat screen TV's really turned me off.

8. matthew_rm

matthew_rm Second Unit

Yeah, samsung has a 27HDTV for $1000CDN! Also, I like the 32inch round screens. (Toshiba, Sony, ect) Its for my bedroom, and one of these day's I'll buy one.[​IMG]

9. Nick Graham

Nick Graham Screenwriter

Honestly, I've had a 27" Trinitron (not Wega) for three years now, and am still blown away by how well it displays an anamorphic disc (that is, after a trip into service mode to turn on anamorphic squeeze....a VERY simple process). I paid $500 for mine, but I know the cost has gone down significantly. It has done me proud for my years on a shoestring HT budget.

10. Mike_Craft

Mike_Craft Stunt Coordinator

Call me crazy but I bought the 27 jvc flat screen for $899 Cdn and im in high school 2. If u can get a flat for 300 Cdn then I dont care what brand it is ------ take it.

11. Craig R

Craig R Auditioning

I've seen the Apex cheapo flat screen at Circuit City and the image quality is really bad. Maybe they just had a screwed up TV on display, but at such a low price, I suspect they all look that bad.

12. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    I didn't know the old regular trinitron tv's could do the squeeze. I have a 27" that's a year or two old and I would love to enable the squeeze if it's available on my set. Anyone know for sure? I think the model is: 27v42 or similar.